Finance and money forum

Thailand in 2014 Baht per day to spend

• kappy

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2014

Hello all,
    Interested in your thoughts on how much baht per day may be needed? ( 13 days ) Lodging is already paid. A modest figure, in the middle from budget to extravagant. Probably will take a smaller airline to visit the Northern section and might need lodging for two or three nights, and the rest of the trip public transportation of some type.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 22/3/2014 - 18:54

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Impossible for us to really know. It depends on the activities etc you are planning on doing. For food can spend anywhere from 10-40 a day depending on your tastes. Drinks another 5-20. Transportation depends on buses or private transport.

Excluding accommodation you could spend 20-100 a day, it all depends on what you are planning on doing and how much you like to eat/drink.

#2 Posted: 22/3/2014 - 19:18

• kappy

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2014

Thank you for response. Yes I thought this could be somewhat difficult, lets see if I can nail this down a bit more. First time, typical tourist will most likely want to see many of the suggestions of place not to miss from previous threads. I will explore different kinds of places to eat, average appetite and little alcohol consumption along the way. I don't want to be underestimating, and prefer to have extra cash for something unexpected. + or - 2000 baht. Hope this could help more.

Thanks

#3 Posted: 22/3/2014 - 20:46

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

10 baht a day for food is really low.

Food and water 200 to 500 baht a day.

Tours r 500 to 2000 baht.

Beers 40 baht up 7 11 or 80 baht.up in bars.

Scooter 200 baht a day

Car 1200 baht a day plus fuel

Say 800 baht a day on avg plus tours.

#4 Posted: 22/3/2014 - 20:51

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Rough guideline for popular tourist locations in Thailand

Food ballparks
    Breakfast in a hotel/guesthouse (if not included) 50-250 baht
    Breakfast streetside under 50 baht
    Lunch in a guesthouse/tourist orientated restaurant (say a one plate meal + non-alcoholic drink) 100-150 baht
    Lunch streetside (say a one plate meal + non-alcoholic drink) 50-100 baht

Dinner in a guesthouse/tourist orientated restaurant (say a two dishes + non-alcoholic drink) 150-300 baht
    Dinner streetside (say a two dishes + non-alcoholic drink) 100-200 baht

Lots of seafood? Add more Vegetarian? deduct some

Booze
    Per unit local whisky is cheap and beer expensive.

Transport
    A domestic airfare A$50-100 (obviously dependent on advanced booking, route, airline etc) Sometimes you'll pay less, sometimes more.
    Trains 3rd class is nominal
    Trains 2nd class say Bangkok to Chiang Mai is around 400 baht a 2nd class sleeper around 600 baht. Depends on which train, type of berth etc
    Buses 5-500 baht - wild range of prices depending on class of bus, route, destination etc.

Activities
    Temples mostly free
    National Parks range from 30 baht to (I think) 500 baht - Thailand double prices their national parks and some private operators also have 2/3 tiers of pricing.
    Museums Free - 200 baht
    Learn to dive: around 10,000 baht
    Hill tribe trek: from around 400-500 baht per day

You might find Price of Travel run by a mate of mine of use for this kinda thing.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 22/3/2014 - 20:58

• kappy

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2014

Thanks, This will be helpful in estimating my costs.

#6 Posted: 22/3/2014 - 21:00

• kappy

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2014

Thanks, very helpful. Depending in how elaborate the activities and expect the cost to increase. Thanks for the link, will check it out.

#7 Posted: 22/3/2014 - 22:10

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Flights, rooms, tours and car hire r the most expensive things.

Other stuff is pretty cheap.

Hard to spend more than 2000 baht a day after the room is covered.

#8 Posted: 23/3/2014 - 09:28

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Thanks for that link above, somtam. Looks like a fantastic resource. I checked a few of the places I frequent and it seemed accurate and up to date as well.

The only things I'd add to the estimates somtam gave above are:

small incidentals, like laundry and bottled water and other things like post cards, if you still send them. i usually spend on average 100 baht a day on these types of things, but I travel in the flashpacker range of roughly 1500-1800 baht a day where 100 baht one way or the other isn't a budget issue.

massage and spa treatments are cheap and readily available in thailand, so i average about one a day, even when i'm on a long trip.

gifts and souvenirs don't have to cost that much but odds are you'll see a few things you didn't know you couldn't live without and will want to share a few things with friends and family once you get home.

be sure to include these types of things, whatever they may be for you, in your budget, and you should be fine with the money you have. cheers.

#9 Posted: 23/3/2014 - 13:09

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

The link says Bali is more expensive than bangkok and phuket. Most people say the opposite. Attractions budget for phuket is 100 baht. Most tours there cost 1000 baht up. You.dont go to phuket to visit a 50 baht temple or museum. For a room they use 1 cheapo. Not everybody can stay in the one cheap gh. Even the 3 star attractions budget is 100 baht which is way unders.

#10 Posted: 23/3/2014 - 19:08

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.