Finance and money forum

Need some advice!

• ChristD

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2014

Hi guys,

Basically, I'm off travelling for around a year at the end of this year. My problem is that I don't know how to tell my work I'm going, do I tell them now or just let them know when I hand in my notice?

The reason I'm hesitant is because there's already been a few redundancies in my company, and I don't want to give them a reason to get rid of me! Another reason is that I'm hoping to accrue my holiday pay (by not taking many days off before I leave) so that I can get it paid to me in my final pay packet. Would this seem a bit odd to my employer if I left it that late in the year with so much holiday left to take and then just drop it on them?

Any other comments would be welcomed as well, thanks in advance.

#1 Posted: 8/4/2014 - 15:38

• Advertisement

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Easy call - let 'em know when you hand in your notice.

"The reason I'm hesitant is because there's already been a few redundancies in my company, and I don't want to give them a reason to get rid of me! Another reason is that I'm hoping to accrue my holiday pay (by not taking many days off before I leave) so that I can get it paid to me in my final pay packet."

You need another reason? I am a firm believer in taking care of yourself. Do what you need to do as long as it benefits you and doesn't come at the expense of someone else's happiness or health. No doubt - this company that you are working for will do what it needs to do in order for it to benefit regardless of the individual(s) it affects.

You are just a number. Dispensable and disposable.

Life is short dude...F 'em!!

Be happy!

#2 Posted: 8/4/2014 - 15:56

• ChristD

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2014

Thanks for that, haha! I think I just needed to hear it from someone else so I didn't just think I was being selfish or something!

#3 Posted: 9/4/2014 - 12:56

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Selfishness - can be a very healthy thing!!

:)

#4 Posted: 9/4/2014 - 13:28

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Bloody TF logging me out! I just lost my lengthy reply. Grrr... now I have to rewrite it all.

I get the impression you are a fellow Kiwi, based on you choice of words. If that is the case, the good things is that NZérs do tend to be more understanding about people resigning to travel. Much more so than people from the US, etc.

I wholeheartedly agree with Tyler: look after yourself first. Just like a company will look after IT'S interests first too. It always comes down to the numbers for them. I have been made redundant twice over the years: once after 6 weeks (!) when they were forced to let all their new hires go due to an unforeseen situation, and the second time was after putting 8 years of hard slog, blood sweat and tears into project work, involving long hours, weekends, and many weeks away at a time. My loyalty to the company counted for nothing. I don't say this out of bitterness (I'm not) - but just to reinforce what Tyler said. A company will always look after it's own interests; you need to do the same.

Having said that, if you have a good record with the company, you want to be careful that you don't burn your bridges with them either. You will need them for a job reference at some point - and if you leave under good terms, they may even re-hire you when you return from your travels. (This happened to me a few years ago which meant that I would walk straight back into a job as soon as I returned from my travels). If it's a good company, and you have a good record, give them a bit more than the standard 4 weeks notice. I tend to give 6-8 weeks notice. It does take time to organise a replacement, and this increases the chance that you can complete a handover to your replacement. That will be appreciated by your boss and will hopefully be remembered at some point in the future.

However, don't be tempted to give more than 6-8 weeks notice. Once you resign, it is hard to keep the motivation up as your mind starts to focus on your upcoming travels, and work becomes increasingly irrelevant. You don't want to become so unmotivated that it affects your performance. Remember that reference that you will want in future!

With respect to your last question about accruing your holiday pay. That's standard practice, and unless you work for a very small company or have an unusually high number of leave days owing (eg more then 4-5 weeks), it won't be an issue. Besides, it's the law, they will have to pay it out whether they want to or not.

In summary: Look after yourself. But don't burn your bridges. Keep accruing that holiday pay - it'll be handy to cover unexpected expenses closer to the time that you leave. (Or consider putting some of it aside for when you return from your travels so that you have a buffer when you get back home.).

#5 Posted: 9/4/2014 - 13:57

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

NZers do tend to be more understanding about people resigning to travel. Much more so than people from the US...

I'm from the US, and I resigned so I could travel. And unless I'm mistaken, I'm not the only person in this thread from the US either.....he he

Seriously though, Lizzy is on a roll lately with heaps of great advice, including the above. It makes sense to strike that balance between looking after your own needs and keeping your employer happy so you can get a good reference and feel good about the work you do for them until you resign. Six to eight weeks notice should give you plenty of time to wrap up the things you are working on and the company plenty of time to sort out what to do when you leave. It wouldn't hurt to have a potential job lined up for when you return, just in case you want it back.

For Lizzy. If you do a control C copy of a long entry before you go to post it, it will still be there for you if TF logs you out. Just control V paste it right back in. That trick has saved me quite a few times.

Cheers to the OP and looking forward to hearing about your trip. Regards.

#6 Posted: 9/4/2014 - 18:43

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Thanks for the kind words exacto. And yes, I do know about the Ctrl C business, and normally I do that if I know that I have taken a particularly long time on a post. I didn't think that was the case this time, and usually I don't have too many problems with being logged out. I do keep my laptop hibernated much of the time (as opposed to shutting it down) and wonder whether that has something to do with it.

#7 Posted: 10/4/2014 - 06:51

• ChristD

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2014

Thanks for the great advice, guys! Not a NZer I'm afraid Lizzy, I'm actually from the Channel Islands!

I understand wanting to leave on good terms with my employer (which I plan to do), but I won't want to be returning to the same job, I've kind of grown out of it in a way. But nonetheless, I see where you're coming from.

I'm already starting to focus my mind on my travels and it's still 6 months away!! Hopefully the time flies by, because I cannot wait to hit the beaches in Bali and actually acquire some surfing skills, haha!

#8 Posted: 10/4/2014 - 13:07

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Channel Islands? Wow - I got that wrong. I had to google to see where they are! :-)

#9 Posted: 10/4/2014 - 22:41

• ChristD

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2014

Haha, don't worry you won't be the first person to not know where the Channel Islands are! :P

You can probably tell from the size of the islands why I plan to go travelling, you can literally walk from one side to the other in around an hour and a half! (maybe less)

#10 Posted: 11/4/2014 - 12:04

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.