Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

£2500 enough for 3 months?

Posted by dazm26 on 28/12/2007 at 01:22

Now Xmas is out the way i have one month until i go away to SE ASIA on my own and im just starting to come over with huge excitement quickly followed by a lot of nerves!!

I am wondering how best to take my money to SE ASIA, im going to Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore and am taking about £2500, firstly is this enough im going for 3months????

How do i take my money i have USD in cash to take and i guess the resr in my Natiownide account i now have, should i take any travellers cheques???

Thanks guys!!!

Dazza

#1 dazm26 has been a member since 28/9/2007. Posts: 19

Posted by somtam2000 on 28/12/2007 at 12:31 admin

Hi Dazza,

I'd say 2,500 pounds is plenty of money for a typical backpacker's budget -- plenty.

Regarding how to organise your money, we've got a story on that very matter -- covering different ways to organise your money while travelling in Asia -- give that a read and let me know if you have more questions.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by richkimmens on 21/2/2008 at 15:59

Hi Dazza,

Not sure if you are going to be able to read this but I hope you are enjoying your trip and was wondering if you could tell me how you are getting on as I am doing the same countries for the same amount of time from the start of March!

#3 richkimmens has been a member since 30/1/2008. Posts: 7

Posted by rakhee2108 on 9/3/2008 at 15:21

In Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia, a typical backpacker budget is $20USD per day. Malaysia and Singapore will obv be much more expensive.

British travelers should def open up a Nationwide bank a/c because there are not commission fees for withdrawing money abroad.

#4 rakhee2108 has been a member since 8/3/2007. Posts: 55

Posted by mrdome on 4/5/2008 at 04:53

I just did a trip to Bali w. a sidetrip to Yogyakarta Mar 28 - April 6, then Cambodia (April 7 - 13 am), take the boat & bus to Viet Nam (April 13 - 20) and 1.5 days in SIN city and 1 day in KL.

I withdrew 2,750,000 INR in Bali and managed fine on that. For the rest I exchanged 400 GBP and that was enough as well (all within Asia flights & train to KL had been purchased beforehand). You might want to spend more than this.
I had tours and massages and splurged on one $40 dinner in Siem Reap I put on my cc, so I didn't feel like I was suffering.

#5 mrdome has been a member since 3/5/2008. Posts: 43

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.