Finance and money forum

£2500 enough for 3 months?

• dazm26

Joined Travelfish
    28th September, 2007

Now Xmas is out the way i have one month until i go away to SE ASIA on my own and im just starting to come over with huge excitement quickly followed by a lot of nerves!!

I am wondering how best to take my money to SE ASIA, im going to Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore and am taking about £2500, firstly is this enough im going for 3months????

How do i take my money i have USD in cash to take and i guess the resr in my Natiownide account i now have, should i take any travellers cheques???

Thanks guys!!!

Dazza

#1 Posted: 28/12/2007 - 01:22

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Dazza,

I'd say 2,500 pounds is plenty of money for a typical backpacker's budget -- plenty.

Regarding how to organise your money, we've got a story on that very matter -- covering different ways to organise your money while travelling in Asia -- give that a read and let me know if you have more questions.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 28/12/2007 - 12:31

• richkimmens

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2008

Hi Dazza,

Not sure if you are going to be able to read this but I hope you are enjoying your trip and was wondering if you could tell me how you are getting on as I am doing the same countries for the same amount of time from the start of March!

#3 Posted: 21/2/2008 - 15:59

• rakhee2108

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2007
    Total reviews: 6

In Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia, a typical backpacker budget is $20USD per day. Malaysia and Singapore will obv be much more expensive.

British travelers should def open up a Nationwide bank a/c because there are not commission fees for withdrawing money abroad.

#4 Posted: 9/3/2008 - 15:21

• mrdome

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

I just did a trip to Bali w. a sidetrip to Yogyakarta Mar 28 - April 6, then Cambodia (April 7 - 13 am), take the boat & bus to Viet Nam (April 13 - 20) and 1.5 days in SIN city and 1 day in KL.

I withdrew 2,750,000 INR in Bali and managed fine on that. For the rest I exchanged 400 GBP and that was enough as well (all within Asia flights & train to KL had been purchased beforehand). You might want to spend more than this.
    I had tours and massages and splurged on one $40 dinner in Siem Reap I put on my cc, so I didn't feel like I was suffering.

#5 Posted: 4/5/2008 - 04:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.