Finance and money forum

ATMs in Laos

• smartso

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2008

I know this was up for a little debate before I left so I figured I'd post my findings (I'm sorry if it's a double post, I haven't been on the forums since I departed for my trip). I was in Laos just over 2 weeks ago and I can confirm that there are ATMs in:

Luang Prabang
    Vang Vieng
    Vientiane
    Savannakhet

I was also told there are working ATMs in Pakse by fellow travelers but I didn't seem them with my own eyes. All of the ATMs accepted my Canadian debit card no problem. There is still the 700 000 kip limit per transaction but you can do multiple daily transactions if need be. It is always best to pull money out earlier in the day rather than later. If you arrive and the ATM says it is not working odds are it is because it has run out of money, try again the next day. Hope this helps :)

#1 Posted: 1/7/2008 - 21:10

• Advertisement

• gmarx

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2008

Does that mean the Laos ATMs dispense Kip or do they also dispense US$ (like in Cambodia)?

#2 Posted: 7/8/2008 - 17:50

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

the last time I was in Laos the ATMs dispensed only kip (although that is starting to be awhile ago now). us dollars are accepted in some tourist places in Laos, and your credit card purchases will also likely clear in US dollars, but it isn't like in Cambodia where dollars are the major currency. kip it is. be sure to spend 'em before you leave the country too. regards.

#3 Posted: 8/8/2008 - 07:21

• cactusjoe

Joined Travelfish
    21st September, 2008

I undertsood that usd was the currency of choice
    except for tips etc. However I am a canuck too so glad to hear about the atms

#4 Posted: 22/9/2008 - 10:19

• JJcookie

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2008

I had always heard ATM has the best exchange rate, but I took out 100,000 kip from the LP airport ATM and Bank of America took out $14.06 from my account, not to mention a $5 fee. this is a worse rate than the money changer in town. Just fyi.

#5 Posted: 29/9/2008 - 19:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
ATMs in laos ... By gorkreg on 11 Dec 2011 19 7825 21 Dec 2011
Laos ATMs #2 ... By travelsalone on 25 Jan 2010 0 1152 25 Jan 2010
Laos ATMs ... By travelsalone on 25 Jan 2010 8 2359 6 Mar 2010