Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

5 weeks- RM3500 (1000USD)

Posted by cchcal on 29/8/2008 at 22:52

I'll be traveling around SE Asia with close reference to the suggested itinerary obtained on this very site, albeit with some minor changes.

Would 1000USD be sufficient for a 5 week trip to cambodia, laos, vietnam and thailand?

Cheers

#1 cchcal has been a member since 18/7/2008. Posts: 5

Posted by SBE on 30/8/2008 at 04:03

Including transport costs? I'd say you be seriously pushing it. Five weeks is very short to do all you're planning to do too.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by cchcal on 30/8/2008 at 06:06

Yup. Inclusive of everything.

5 weeks too short? The suggested itinerary covers 4 countries in 5weeks, though it seems kinda rushed in a way. But finance is definitely the main issue here. I've only 1000USD to spare. So if it's really pushing the limit, might have to skip Thailand in this leg.

So what'd ya think?

#3 cchcal has been a member since 18/7/2008. Posts: 5

Posted by SBE on 30/8/2008 at 14:54

Then you'll have to factor in visa costs too. Visas are valid one month... if you follow the itinerary on TF you'd only be staying a week or so in each country...ie wasting most of your paid-for visa time.

Thailand is the only country you can get a free entry stamp on arrival but if you do that you need a flight out within 30 days. (Cheap flights on Air Asia BTW...might save you some time too).

Vietnam is a long thin country and it's a long way from one end to the other....time and transport costs. They also require exact dates and entry and exit points when you apply for a visa and I've a feeling it's the most expensive visa of the lot too (60 euros where I am) ... I think I'd be tempted to skip Vietnam myself, but it depends what your priorities are.

As I say I'm very dubious about how doable the trip you're planning would be on $1000 but maybe I'm wrong.

Perhaps someone else will comment.

#4 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/9/2008 at 07:16 admin

$28 a day -- once you weigh in costs of getting around (I assume you're flying a bit) then I agree with SBE -- you're looking at a pretty tight budget.

I'd say slow down, drop two countries and save the rest for another trip.

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,502
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by cchcal on 1/9/2008 at 10:31

Well thanks guys for the replies. Helps tremendously!

But 1 thing is that I'm a citizen of an ASEAN country and need not apply for visas to gain entry into the countries mentioned. At least i'll save a huge amount on that. I'll be only taking the most minimal amount of flights, one back from hanoi and the rest will be overland trips. Hmm... pretty crazy huh? Just gotta persuade my friend to drop thailand then.

Have a great day guys!!

Cheers

#6 cchcal has been a member since 18/7/2008. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.