Finance and money forum

5 weeks- RM3500 (1000USD)

• cchcal

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2008

I'll be traveling around SE Asia with close reference to the suggested itinerary obtained on this very site, albeit with some minor changes.

Would 1000USD be sufficient for a 5 week trip to cambodia, laos, vietnam and thailand?

Cheers

#1 Posted: 29/8/2008 - 22:52

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Including transport costs? I'd say you be seriously pushing it. Five weeks is very short to do all you're planning to do too.

#2 Posted: 30/8/2008 - 04:03

• cchcal

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2008

Yup. Inclusive of everything.

5 weeks too short? The suggested itinerary covers 4 countries in 5weeks, though it seems kinda rushed in a way. But finance is definitely the main issue here. I've only 1000USD to spare. So if it's really pushing the limit, might have to skip Thailand in this leg.

So what'd ya think?

#3 Posted: 30/8/2008 - 06:06

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Then you'll have to factor in visa costs too. Visas are valid one month... if you follow the itinerary on TF you'd only be staying a week or so in each country...ie wasting most of your paid-for visa time.

Thailand is the only country you can get a free entry stamp on arrival but if you do that you need a flight out within 30 days. (Cheap flights on Air Asia BTW...might save you some time too).

Vietnam is a long thin country and it's a long way from one end to the other....time and transport costs. They also require exact dates and entry and exit points when you apply for a visa and I've a feeling it's the most expensive visa of the lot too (60 euros where I am) ... I think I'd be tempted to skip Vietnam myself, but it depends what your priorities are.

As I say I'm very dubious about how doable the trip you're planning would be on $1000 but maybe I'm wrong.

Perhaps someone else will comment.

#4 Posted: 30/8/2008 - 14:54

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

$28 a day -- once you weigh in costs of getting around (I assume you're flying a bit) then I agree with SBE -- you're looking at a pretty tight budget.

I'd say slow down, drop two countries and save the rest for another trip.

#5 Posted: 1/9/2008 - 07:16

• cchcal

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2008

Well thanks guys for the replies. Helps tremendously!

But 1 thing is that I'm a citizen of an ASEAN country and need not apply for visas to gain entry into the countries mentioned. At least i'll save a huge amount on that. I'll be only taking the most minimal amount of flights, one back from hanoi and the rest will be overland trips. Hmm... pretty crazy huh? Just gotta persuade my friend to drop thailand then.

Have a great day guys!!

Cheers

#6 Posted: 1/9/2008 - 10:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.