Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

Indonesia cost vs Thailand cost?

Posted by steffanmathias on 3/12/2008 at 18:57

I'm debating weather to spend about 21 days of my trip in bali/east java or laos/more of thailand (a little longer on beaches and longer around the central planes), and basically the deciding factor is costs, and seeing as every guide book gives different costs i was wondering if anybody could tell me, based on experience, which is cheaper, indonesia or thailand?

Many many many thanks
Steffan

#1 steffanmathias has been a member since 10/7/2008. Posts: 7

Posted by Lother on 4/12/2008 at 03:20

I'd say the costs are about the same. There's probably much bigger variance in costs between touristy and non-touristy spots within either country than between them.

Bali is expensive from what I've heard. I've only been to Sumatra in Indonesia, and the costs there were the same as in non-touristy Thailand.

#2 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214

Posted by somtam2000 on 4/12/2008 at 06:08 admin

Food and drink (non alcoholic) is cheaper in Indonesia than in Thailand, as is basic transportation (bemos). If you're staying in homestay style accommodation then that's also cheaper in indo. What is cheaper in Thailand is guesthouse style accommodation (beach bungalows etc) and booze is cheaper there.

Bali is expensive relative to the rest of Indonesia, and certainly more expensive than Laos -- but a lot depends on what you're doing and where you're doing it. Transport on Bali can also get expensive quickly.

As Lother says, the biggest variance is between touristy and non-touristy areas. A lot comes down to how you're planning to travel and what you're interests are.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.