Finance and money forum

US$ vs. local currency

• daflj

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2008
    Total reviews: 4

Hi,
    another quick question for the assembled brains.
    I know that in Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam the US$ will be charged for many transactions.

Do I need to take all the dollars I'll need while I'm there in cash? If I take dollar TCs will I be able to exchange them in banks/booths for dollars or only for local currency?

Presumably ATMs will only dispense local currency?

#1 Posted: 8/12/2008 - 15:49

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Prices are often quoted in US dollars just because it's easier than quoting some huge sounding price in the local currency. If the staff at a guesthouse says a room is $10 US, they'll always accept payment in the local currency, too (be sure to know the going exchange rate).

The ATMs I used in Cambodia dispensed US $$, but kip in Laos and dong in Vietnam. Some places will cash traveler's cheques or give credit card advances in US $$, too.

#2 Posted: 8/12/2008 - 23:15

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

In Cambodia, cash TCs for USD with approx 2% commission.

#3 Posted: 9/12/2008 - 08:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
local currency or USD Langkawi, Vietnam, Laos & Cambodia, ... By samsmithsurfs on 21 Feb 2012 4 2962 23 Feb 2012