Finance and money forum

Exchanging Chinese RMB. What's the best solution?

• adro48itly

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2009

Does anyone know if it's easy to exchange Chinese RMB in Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia, i.e. such as at airports (Vientiene) and banks, at border crossings? Should I exchange Chinese money into more dollars and/or Laos Kip before leaving China?
    Can I use a Lloyds TSB debit card at most ATM machines?

Replies would be appreciated

#1 Posted: 5/1/2009 - 21:40

• Advertisement

• jaraama

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2009

You can exchange RMB to Laos Kip in Nam Tha (just ask around on the main street, people will tell you where to go); in Luang Prabang, the exchange booth by the night market also exchange RMB to Kip.

#2 Posted: 8/4/2009 - 00:03

• dageshi

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2008

Personally I would probably convert them in China to dollars. But if you are going to do that know that you can only do it legitimately at a Bank of China branch and you'll need your passport to do it.

And I have a Lloyds Debit card, it's worked no problem in Vietnam and Cambodia, I would presume there will be no problem in Laos. Anything with a Visa or mastercard sign on it is generally o.k.

#3 Posted: 8/4/2009 - 09:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.