Finance and money forum

Travel agency warning- UNSEEN

• blpratt

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2008

I just posted a response to someone's trip planning query, but I'll post a topic here as well: Please avoid Unseen Travel near Khao San in Bangkok, they charge at least double the price and most hotels and guesthouses we've talked to in order to change undesirable reservations have blacklisted them and no longer book through their agency. Just a heads up.

#1 Posted: 14/1/2009 - 19:29

• Advertisement

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

blpratt

And, everyone.

Please learn from this experience - please use Travelfish to do your accommodation bookings.

It is just so worth it, and so easy.

cheers

#2 Posted: 23/2/2009 - 08:18

• roskott

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2009

UNSEEN travel arranged our trip through Thailand in november/december 2008. It was high season, so UNSEEN told us it was wise to book transport and accommodation in advance.
    1.they did'nt book transport in advance
    2.they charged us at least twice/three times the price for transport
    3. we agreed upon the price for guesthouses and they put us in guesthouses of at least half/one third of the price. So their profit margin is about 200%!
    In Lopburi they put us in a "guesthouse"[Baan Monkey Guesthouse] which does'nt deserve that name. UNSEEN charged us for 1000 BAHT, and it was worth at the most 200 BAHT. We refused to stay there. To our complaints they reacted very crude.
    UNSEEN is'nt a travel agent, it's a money maker!

#3 Posted: 27/5/2009 - 04:18

• Farangtrave-
    lwise

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2009

I agree totally. Unseen Tours are a rip-off. We had 3 weeks of ****. Some hotels were not booked and transfers never showed up even after 5 hours waiting at one time. We overpaid for insect infested, windowless pits.

#4 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 20:20

• supersilly

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2009

I too was ripped off by Unseen Travel back in April. I'm ashamed to admit that we paid more than twice what the package was worth. We started realising it from the first day, when we saw that the hotel room was less than a third of what we were paying. We kept calling them up because of the many problems we had with the bookings, such as no rooms having been booked or the standard being a lot poorer than what we had expected. We never managed to talk with the lady who sold us the plan, as apparently she kept traveling from one corner of the planet to the next with an impressive speed. Instead we were put through to the supposed "boss" (Owen), who kept trying us like idiots and trying to persuade us no to accept what we were being offered in a very rude manner. Had we done all the bookings ourselves we would have saved a lot of money. The whole experience with this travel agency was a nightmare. It was our fist time to Thailand and were not aware that this could happen.

#5 Posted: 4/11/2009 - 05:47

• erykah

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010

2010 and unseen are still operating.

We just got back from the holiday from hell.. also newbies to Asia, having read-up a lot about scams we were not prepared for this.

We were taken by tuk-tuk to unseen travel in Pathumwan, Bangkok, where everything looked legit, we checked licensing etc and everything seemed fine, they even checked us into a non-insect infested hotel for a reasonable price so everything started out great.

We paid 91,000 baht for 3 flights (2 of us) and supposedly all of our hotels, food, tours etc. The s### hit the fan when she told us to come back and get the final details after we checked into our hotel.

We went back to get 'details' of which there were none, scribbles (I mean this literally, un-readable!) on bits of paper, no addresses no matter how much we tried, not even the name of the hotel in some cases, not even flight reservation numbers or anything. She even started to get aggressive with us when I tried pushing for details. We were very VERY lucky we managed to find an English speaking person to help us even confirm we had flights booked!! We were so scared about the reservation I canceled my credit card thinking they would try and charge it again.

The first low-blow was our 'English speaking tour-guide' spoke NO English, not even enough for us to ask for the bathroom.

Then, amazingly, we were actually picked up for transfers to Siem Reap, not by the 'luxury bus' we were told but a mini van that was full. The transfers were messy with no instructions of what to do, and running late (to the point others missed their next transfer).

We get to Siem reap, again with a shared car not the private car we were told and dropped at a backpacker hostel not the 4 star hotel we were promised. Our tour guide was fantastic though which was about the best part of Cambodia. Oh she also booked our flights so we would be in cambodia 4 days and 3 nights however she only booked accommodation for 2 nights so we had to pay further.

Amazingly our flights went without a hitch (even had checked luggage which we thought would be forgotten considering how the rest of the trip had been going).

So we arrive in Ho Chi Minh and the hotel that had been booked didnt exist, nor did the number she gave us for our 'tour guide' so again, we had to pay more!

Next, flights to Hanoi. once again no tour guide to pick us up so we took a stab in the dark and went to the "Hanoi View", turns our there are 2 and guess what, we were not at the right one, no we were to be staying at the disgusting 'city gate' (a sister hotel and a downgrade so unbelievable you wouldnt think it would be the same chain) which had a hole in the shower so water peed everywhere, stained sheets with holes in them, a broken computer, oh and musn't forget the cockroaches. checked out of here asap and had to pay AGAIN.

SO, now that we are back in Australia I am going through my credit card company (EVERYONE make sure you get a gold card for amazing legal benefits etc) to try and recoup some money as we estimate we were overcharged by at LEAST $900+

Word of advice for anyone looking to do Thailand-Cambodia-Vietnam.. you DO NOT need a travel agent it can all be done easily, safely and most definitely cheaply online by yourself! Had we of known this we would have had a much easier, WAY cheaper and less stressful holiday

#6 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 19:46

• cafblake

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2010

I am in Chiang Mai and was roped into a scam by Unseen Travel in Bangkok. I managed to book my own train ticket to Chiang Mai but I've just read all these stories and the truth has dawned on me. What should I do? Abort the trip and lose my money but be happy in the knowledge that I'm not going to get ripped off along the way by con artists related to Unseen or continue with the trip and just be aware of getting ripped off? Not sure what the best thing to do is! All advice welcome!

#7 Posted: 15/11/2010 - 13:43

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

How do you know you have been scammed? What is the trip that you have booked - is it just a train ride out of Chiang Mai? Or a full-blown tour? How much money is involved?

I guess you could always tell them that you have changed your mind about your plans and ask for some of your money back.

I would take a deep breath before panicking, and consider your options before doing anything.

#8 Posted: 15/11/2010 - 15:30

• erykah

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010

Go along with it, you may as well as you have pretty much 0 chance of getting your money back from them. My credit card company is investigating them for fraud as we speak (will keep you updated if I see any of the money back ), but apparently it is common in asia for all you to get for confirmation is a slip of paper with "paid" stamped on it (as we got given).

What exactly has gone wrong (so far) with them? My advise is to keep going with the trip and get as much out of it as you can coz you have little chance of getting any money back but be prepared to fork out for extra accommodation etc as chances are they will have booked you into ****-shacks.

#9 Posted: 15/11/2010 - 15:45

• cafblake

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2010

I've paid them for a 3 week tour just under 500 pounds. I just spoke to my bank and the money has already been 'cleared' so they can't dispute the payment unless Unseen don't provide any of the services they have promised. By total coincidence I have just been into a hostel and there happened to be two tourist police officers there who have told me to call the police as it's the only way I might get a refund. They knew the name Unseen straight away as being scam artists as did another shop owner I spoke to who runs an eco trek business. He says I'm one of MANY to have had this same experience. I don't want to create a drama but considering going to the police station now just to see what they say! Wish me luck!

#10 Posted: 15/11/2010 - 16:21

• Advertisement

• erykah

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010

you should try. seriously, if the money has cleared unless you go thru the tourist police you wont see anything back.

as I said, I am trying to get them for the grounds of fraud (my gold card provides me with free legal assistance when it comes to travel.. note all should see about a gold card before travelling it is so worth it) because, half our stuff wasnt legit, i.e non existant hotels, no tour guides or transfers showing up etc.

give it a go while you are there coz like me you have forked out WAY too much, I paid about 1000 pound equivilant but for 2 people so pretty much same as you and believe me it was nothing but stressful and disappointing!

#11 Posted: 15/11/2010 - 16:33

• estebanf

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2010

yes, this is a scam! they lie to you and charge you WAAAAAAAAAAY too much money for the **** they give you. never go to UNSEEN TRAVEL in bangkok. they are bad people.

#12 Posted: 23/11/2010 - 22:56

• shotgun

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2010

Tours and Travel Agents. Learn your lessons people, its far easier and cheaper to book IN COUNTRY.

#13 Posted: 2/1/2011 - 08:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Unseen Travel Agency Bangkok - Unseen scam ... By dirkvdv on 13 Jul 2012 7 3588 17 Jul 2012
Warning: Unseen Travel - Bangkok ... By Rosaleen26 on 12 May 2010 18 7341 29 Sep 2011