Finance and money forum

USD or Thai Baht in Laos

• brianennion

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

Hi All,
    Which is best to take to Laos.. USD or Thai baht.. I remember in Cambodia that the money changes gave a really bad rate for Baht over USD.. I was in Laos two years ago and forget if it was the same?

Planning on using a mixture or Kip and USD/baht.
    Thanks for any advise.
    Brian

#1 Posted: 29/1/2009 - 17:34

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Brian,

I've used both Thai Baht and USD with relative ease in Laos, but it seems to me that USD was more happily accepted and got a slightly better rate.

Each time I've been to Laos, the Lao Kip was gaining strength and was more and more accepted as well. The first time I went in the early 90's, nobody wanted Kip, but the last time, many places (except for guest houses) were finally quoting prices in Kip and actually preferred Kip to other currency, particularly in the less touristed areas. Plus, I just like spending Kip. I think might still be one of the world's most lightly exchanged currencies.

We typically loaded up on Baht before we left Thailand and used that Baht to buy Kip and then spent the USD we had with us on purchases requiring USD. (Yes, I know, double exchange rate loss but not much and a small cost for the fun of being in Laos.)

Credit cards were readily accepted on our last trip as well. Those charges were typically made in USD and they cleared through banks in Vietnam, so we didn't even have an exchange rate loss there, although sometimes credit cards will add on a 3% service charge to cover their fees.

I thought Rufus mentioned the other day that there are now ATM's in Laos that dispense USD as well. His info will be more current than mine.

Finally, there is an article in the features section that may have some useful info for you too. It is called How to manage your money while travelling in Asia and is at this link:

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/103#advice

#2 Posted: 29/1/2009 - 23:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Best place to get Thai Baht! ... By mlr on 12 Aug 2009 17 27350 18 Aug 2009
Using Thai Baht in Luang Prabang ... By TonyL on 4 Jul 2008 2 2377 5 Jul 2008
Taking Thai Baht to Vietnam ... By CrankyCarrot on 10 Dec 2011 14 3559 3 Jan 2012
Changing Chinese Yuan to Thai Baht ... By Preacher on 21 Jan 2010 4 3578 24 Jan 2010
Exchanging Euro Money To Thai Baht, ... By borgy on 1 Feb 2010 0 1387 1 Feb 2010
Cambodia: Thai baht exchange for Riel ? ... By 5acrefarmer on 8 Jan 2011 2 4137 8 Jan 2011