Finance and money forum

4300$ for three months for a firsttime backpacker?

• SimonD

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2009

Hey guys :)

I'm leaving tomorrow for a three month trip to southeast Asia.
    The plan is to fly to Bangkok, stay in Thailand (mostly north) for around 30 days, then Laos for approx. 15 days, then Vietnam 30 days and then Cambodia 15 days. I'm flying home from Bangkok.

I've never travelled for this long before, and I haven't travelled on my own before either, so it's been very hard for me to judge if I can make ends meet.

Most everything is taken care of already. I have a plane ticket, travel insurances, vaccinations etc., and a visa to Vietnam. All other visas I will need to buy at the border of the respecting country. I'm expecting to travel by land all the way around, by bus or trains or something like that.

Do you guys reckon that 4300$ is enough to do this?

#1 Posted: 4/2/2009 - 19:16

• Advertisement

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

90 days in total gives you approx $47 a day ... that is plenty... you are rich infact compared to some travellers ... you will spot these people easily as they are moping around without a smile trying to haggle over something that costs $0.25 :)

you'll have a blast simon... go for it

#2 Posted: 4/2/2009 - 19:58

• SimonD

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2009

Thanks! that's relieving to hear :) It's really hard to judge how much you'll spend when on the road that long.

It's tommorow, I'm soo pumped up for it :D

#3 Posted: 4/2/2009 - 20:05

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Simon,

It was my wife's first time in SEA on our last trip, so we budgeted (and spent) $75 a day between the two of us. That was definitely Flashpacker too, with stylish rooms, first class trains, and flying from CM to LP, for example. One place we did save money was by often eating where the locals eat. Great food and usually much less money than the more tourist-oriented places. But we at in those places too, because we were on the vacation of a lifetime and the whole point was to have fun. Like crispy says, you'll have a blast.

Let us know how your trip goes if you can please. It is always great to get new ideas and updates from people on the road. Regards.

#4 Posted: 4/2/2009 - 22:44

• SimonD

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2009

Thanks a lot!

Sounds like it wont be a problem at all then :D

This is a great site and some great boards, I'll make sure to post every now and then!

#5 Posted: 4/2/2009 - 23:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
2 months to cover thailand, laos, cambodia and vietnam. Firsttime travellers!! ... By shuggy2985 on 17 Jan 2011 2 3789 18 Jan 2011
backpacker doing SE asia for 5 months, how much will I need!? ... By scl on 10 Feb 2010 5 7846 24 Mar 2010