Finance and money forum

Cheap ways to call home?

• SimonD

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2009

I was in India over christmas, and when I got home I had a 400$ phone bill waiting for me. Sure, you don't need to call your girlfriend everyday, and sure, it's not everytime you are going to India, that you get stuck in New Delhi for days, trying to book a new ticket via phone.
    I learned that the hard way I guess.

That being said, I would really like to stay in touch with friends, family and girlfriends on my three month trip to Asia. But with danish companies prices, I'm desperate for an alternative.

So, is anyone here familiar with good cheap ways to call home? Home is in Europe, btw :)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

#1 Posted: 5/2/2009 - 06:17

• Advertisement

• SimonD

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2009

Sorry for double post, but it doesn't seem like you can edit, and I just wanted to clarify that I only have a single girlfriend to call :P

#2 Posted: 5/2/2009 - 06:19

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

hi, you can buy cheap sim cards in most se asian countries then pre paid vouchers are readily available.for instance i use 12call in thailand and it costs me about $1 aud per minute to call australia.
    regards

#3 Posted: 5/2/2009 - 10:14

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

For Cambodia, a prepaid MFone SIM is the way to go. You only pay 25 US cents per minute for calling most countries overseas (they use VoIP and the quality is pretty good actually).

Other than that, you can always use Skype at internet cafes which have it. It currently costs about 28 US cents to call a Danish mobile phone through Skype.

#4 Posted: 5/2/2009 - 15:12

• SimonD

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2009

Ah, cool :) Thanks guys!

Is computer caf├ęs with Skype a common sight in the region?

#5 Posted: 5/2/2009 - 16:51

• TheGoose

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2009

Can anybody recommend a decent/cheap network provider for Vietnam?

#6 Posted: 5/2/2009 - 18:46

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

SKYPE!!!!!!!!

Most in the internet cafes have it. Get your woman to get skype as well and its all free. And yes, it's very common.

Sometimes connection speeds suck causing skype to suck though.

#7 Posted: 6/2/2009 - 19:34

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

TheGoose

I found that because the government has mainly invested in mobile technology, it uses resellers for sim cards.

And, there's not a lot of diference in the resellers prices: compared to wealthy nations calls are CHEAP!

#8 Posted: 23/2/2009 - 08:21

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

I just bought a calling card from CAT in Thailand. Costs me about 3 cents a minute to call the US. I use my Thai phone. Yes , I do have to dial a lot of numbers to do it but the connection is good and it's the cheapest way I have found so far. I am sure it also uses up the time on my DTAC connection but still far cheaper than the west.

#9 Posted: 8/10/2009 - 10:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cheap international phone call numbers list ... By SBE on 11 Sep 2010 0 1885 11 Sep 2010