Finance and money forum

Opinions on money plans?

• lucym3

Joined Travelfish
    2nd April, 2009

Hi all,
    After reading numerous things to decide how best to keep my money whilst travelling, I've come up with the following and just wanted people's opinions really...
    My friend and I are setting off in 2 weeks, travelling for 9 weeks in total from Singapore to Vietnam, and we're from the UK.
    I have a Nationwide debit card so plan on using that as my main source of money.
    Also thought approx. $150(£100) in cash.
    I've been looking at prepaid travel cards as an alternative to travellers' cheques - thought I might get the Thomas Cook Cash Passport, put £100-200 on it (this would be my emergency money - it sounded good as you can get 2 cards and if one gets stolen you can block it but still use the second card)
    Would you recommend taking any more cash or having more money on the prepaid travel card?
    Thanks in advance!

#1 Posted: 2/4/2009 - 16:46

• Advertisement

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Hi,

I'm not so sure about those cards Thomas Cook do, they may be useful for the States or somewhere but you may find in Vietnam not many people will have seen them - that is my gut feeling on it mind you, and others may have first hand knowledge of them... and feel free to prove me wrong.

Personally I'm a travellers cheques (US$) kinda guy - commission free to buy (at T Cooks), report them missing and you get replacements, and every bank in the world will cash them. OK so you will pay a commission to cash them into US$, but more often than not (at Western Union last time for me) there is no commission to cash into local currency.

have a great trip anyways ...

#2 Posted: 2/4/2009 - 18:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.