Finance and money forum

(Another!) China + SE Asia budget (3 1/2 months)

• jonnyrtw

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2009

Hi!

I'm trying to work out a rough costing for the 1st leg of my RTW trip. Hopefully what I have put is ok, but I would appreciate some pointers and maybe a kick up the bum if you think I'm in dreamland!

Cost per day covers accomodation + food + hopefuly some left over for activities (except China where I understand sights to be a little more expensive). Transport costs across the regions are additional!

The guides I have given only include the major places I am visiting, but hopefully gives you a rough picture of my route!

The estimate is for one person, backpacking, but hopefully their will be two of us (girlfriend issues!) and hence double the budget.

China; 5 weeks (Beijing-Shanghai-HK-Yangshuo-Chongquiing-Xi'an-Chengdu-Zhongdian-Kunming-Laos); £20($30)/day

Laos; 2 weeks (Phongsali-Muang Xa-Luangprabang-Vangvieng-Vientiane-Vietnam); £10 ($15)/day

Vietnam; 2 weeks (Hanoi-Hue-Kon Tum-Nha Trang-HCMC-Cambodia); £15 ($22)/day

Cambodia; 1 week (Phnom Penh-Siemreap-Thailand); £10 ($15)/day

Thailand; 3 weeks (Bangkok-Prachaup Khiri Khan-Surat Thani-Krabi-Trang-Hat Yai-Malaysia); £10 ($15)/day!

Malaysia; 1 week (Butterworth-Kuala Lumpur-Malacca-Singapore); £15 ($22)/day!

Singapore; 2 days £20 ($30)/day

This brings the total to £1500/$2200. For 3months 17 days.

With transport and visas I am expecting this to rise to around £2000/$3000. If you guys suggest it will be way over 2k then I am going to have to have a rethink! I know it's a little tight, but do you think it's possible - and more importantly (!?) will I have fun on this budget!!?

One final question, should Xi'an be included between Beijing and Shaghai, or after HK when I am travelling around Chongqing + the SW. All the maps I have put Xi'an in different places!!

Interested to hear everyones thoughts! Sorry for the long post,

Thanks

Jonny
    Leeds, England!

#1 Posted: 7/4/2009 - 20:06

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
SE Asia in 8 months on budget? ... By sallyissxc on 21 Jan 2011 7 4495 3 Feb 2011
7 months in asia and a £9000 budget ... By Mazusara on 2 Jan 2013 5 2352 3 Jan 2013
6 months in south east asia. Budget question. ... By moss_11 on 8 Aug 2013 11 6126 10 Aug 2014