Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

3 months, $3,000, 1 first-timer?

Posted by kennedy0826 on 16/4/2009 at 14:52

Hi everyone!
I'm looking to travel Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, and Thailand for the next three months.

I've set aside $3,000 for the travels--not including airfare-- (but would ideally like a little money remaining). I've never backpacked before.

I'll be traveling by my self and don't mind traveling from country to country by land to save money.

Do you think this is possible? I'd love to hear any/all words of advice or any recommendations.

Thanks!
Kathleen

#1 kennedy0826 has been a member since 16/4/2009. Posts: 4

Posted by Dylan on 16/4/2009 at 22:45

I'm actually in a similar situation, with roughly the same budget and amount of time to spend (but I'll be leaving in October). From what I've read, $30/day should be no problem, especially if are sparing with in-region flights and stick to modest accomodations.

Does this sound reasonable to most of you?

Thanks!

#2 Dylan has been a member since 21/3/2009. Posts: 25
 Website 

Posted by Lother on 17/4/2009 at 00:24

I think $33 a day should be fine, that's around my usual budget in SEA, and I'm not that strict at all about my spending. In any case, it's a good idea to keep some kind of track of your spending during your tip. Some general tips to save money:
- go for fan instead of air-con, you'll get used to the heat
- spend more time in smaller/less expensive places (often more interesting too)
- don't drink too much alcohol
- eat locally

#3 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214

Posted by brucemoon on 27/4/2009 at 15:14

Hi

I've just come back from a month in SEA. Went from Chiang Mai to HaNoi overland with 4 days in both Chiang Mai and Luang Prabang and a couple in SaPa staying at 'flashier' places.

With my wife, we spent less than A$1000 (US$700).

The bigger costs were associated with bigger cities. So, like Lother suggests, try to avoid these places.

Trawl through Travelfish 'stories' for ideas.

Cheers

#4 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by ctam2009 on 27/8/2009 at 09:21

Hmm, very similiar situation myself. Heading from Vancouver, Canada to Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia then into the gulf of Thailand for a few weeks on the different islands. Have planned on taking around $4100 USD (flight to-and-from home already prepaid)for the 3 months (september-dec)I will be in SEA. I will be traveling with my GF, who also has around the same amount of $ budgeted for the trip. Anyone see any concerns with this? As a first timer, would you suggest playing it safe in some cheaper accomodations to start off with and see how the money streches? Really looking forward to the trip, leaving in 8 days :D :D :D Happy travels!

#5 ctam2009 has been a member since 16/7/2009. Posts: 9

Posted by BruceMoon on 27/8/2009 at 09:39

ctam

That's about US$40-45 / day. Easy...

On the subject of finances, I've added more.

Go read post #2 at this thread .

Cheers

#6 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by MADMAC on 31/8/2009 at 23:52

The big thing is what you intend to do while you are here. For food, short range bus and hotel - that's enough money. For actually doing anything, maybe not. Alcohol and women are the big budget eaters - given that you're a woman, that's 50% savings right there.

#7 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.