Finance and money forum

3 months, $3,000, 1 first-timer?

• kennedy0826

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2009

Hi everyone!
    I'm looking to travel Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, and Thailand for the next three months.

I've set aside $3,000 for the travels--not including airfare-- (but would ideally like a little money remaining). I've never backpacked before.

I'll be traveling by my self and don't mind traveling from country to country by land to save money.

Do you think this is possible? I'd love to hear any/all words of advice or any recommendations.

Thanks!
    Kathleen

#1 Posted: 16/4/2009 - 14:52

• Advertisement

• Dylan

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2009

I'm actually in a similar situation, with roughly the same budget and amount of time to spend (but I'll be leaving in October). From what I've read, $30/day should be no problem, especially if are sparing with in-region flights and stick to modest accomodations.

Does this sound reasonable to most of you?

Thanks!

#2 Posted: 16/4/2009 - 22:45

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

I think $33 a day should be fine, that's around my usual budget in SEA, and I'm not that strict at all about my spending. In any case, it's a good idea to keep some kind of track of your spending during your tip. Some general tips to save money:
    - go for fan instead of air-con, you'll get used to the heat
    - spend more time in smaller/less expensive places (often more interesting too)
    - don't drink too much alcohol
    - eat locally

#3 Posted: 17/4/2009 - 00:24

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi

I've just come back from a month in SEA. Went from Chiang Mai to HaNoi overland with 4 days in both Chiang Mai and Luang Prabang and a couple in SaPa staying at 'flashier' places.

With my wife, we spent less than A$1000 (US$700).

The bigger costs were associated with bigger cities. So, like Lother suggests, try to avoid these places.

Trawl through Travelfish 'stories' for ideas.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 27/4/2009 - 15:14

• ctam2009

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2009

Hmm, very similiar situation myself. Heading from Vancouver, Canada to Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia then into the gulf of Thailand for a few weeks on the different islands. Have planned on taking around $4100 USD (flight to-and-from home already prepaid)for the 3 months (september-dec)I will be in SEA. I will be traveling with my GF, who also has around the same amount of $ budgeted for the trip. Anyone see any concerns with this? As a first timer, would you suggest playing it safe in some cheaper accomodations to start off with and see how the money streches? Really looking forward to the trip, leaving in 8 days :D :D :D Happy travels!

#5 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 09:21

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

ctam

That's about US$40-45 / day. Easy...

On the subject of finances, I've added more.

Go read post #2 at this thread .

Cheers

#6 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 09:39

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The big thing is what you intend to do while you are here. For food, short range bus and hotel - that's enough money. For actually doing anything, maybe not. Alcohol and women are the big budget eaters - given that you're a woman, that's 50% savings right there.

#7 Posted: 31/8/2009 - 23:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.