Finance and money forum

Taking your British Pound round SEA

• jareduk

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2008
    Location United Kingdom

Hello

This is really a request for advice from fellow brits.

When you have been traveling to SEA have you:

- used USD or GBP to get around (my concern with USD is that i'd get raped on rate i.e. GBP to USD to V Dong - double exchange)

- used travelers cheques again in USD or GBP or a mix?

Will street money changers accept GBP?

Now I understand that is is always wise to have some USD in your pocket as its pretty much a second currency out there, I just don't want to have to get money out in dollars only to change it, for a second time, to a local currency (unless I have too).

Cheers for your thoughts and experiences.

JaredUK

#1 Posted: 24/4/2009 - 14:14

• Advertisement

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Hi Jared,

I have always taken a mixture of USD cash and TCs, approx 75/25 split in favour of TCs i reckon... got the $ in the UK commission free (thomas cook, post office .. or even flippin tesco now!) and changed them over there

Not really worried too much about conversion rates and losing out, as it figures were quite small when you look at the bigger picture - in fact i don't think i spent anytime at all worrying about it - but i always take more than is necessary and flashpack all the way...

You will find the rate of say the Dong / Kip / Riel are all pretty stable against the dollar, but fluctuate against the £ - this balances itself out when you consider the £ fluctuates against the $ ... if that makes any sense?!

TCs used were American Express (from Thomas Cook no commission) which i have never had any probs cashing, watch out for the fee to cash them tho - paid $7 per cheque at a travel agency in Luang Prabang to cash into $ - but then again this was late at night and the banks were shut, only made this mistake once! At the banks, the commission was $4 (i think) total regardless of amount to cash into $, but nothing to cash into kip (so just did that)... so the point is shop around and try not to cash them except in a bank / money changer

Never taken £, but my folks do all the time and never have trouble, you will always see the rate quoted for £ as well as $ (except out in the sticks)- altho they had trouble with the new £20 notes as they did not recognise them last year ...should do by now tho

Hope this helps - have a great trip...

#2 Posted: 25/4/2009 - 03:36

• jareduk

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2008
    Location United Kingdom

chrispyrolls

Cheers chap.

I figured just wanted to see what other peoples experiences were, I just wish we still had the 2:1 GBP USD rate!!

Any how off to the post office on monday to get all of my TC's and money, leaving 10 am weds morning!

jared

#3 Posted: 25/4/2009 - 06:21

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

2:1 was great - went to Vietnam with £1000 so $2000 ... this year went to Laos with £1000 ... $1300 !!

have a great time - i'm sure you will

#4 Posted: 25/4/2009 - 14:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.