Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

Cirrus card in Laos and Cambodia?

Posted by pliszkapliszka on 6/5/2009 at 17:11

Posted from within Vietnam.

Are there any ATM's accepting cirrus card (maestro) in Laos and Cambodia??? I was searching through internet to get this information but more I search more I get confused.Thanks!!

#1 pliszkapliszka has been a member since 5/5/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by Mangala on 7/5/2009 at 01:08

Cirrus/Maestro is a mAstercard related service when it comes to atm's so use this site:

http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/cardholderservices/atmlocations/index.html

I ran a quick check and there isnt any in Laos, but there is plenty in Cambodia that use the mastercard services - including Cirrus/Maestro.

#2 Mangala has been a member since 5/4/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 14
 Where has Mangala been? 

Posted by pliszkapliszka on 17/5/2009 at 21:52

Thank you very very much Mangala! that's a usefull link!
I have just came to Laos today and I have enough cash with me for all my travel as it looked like there could be a problem with with cirrus card here (I also asked in Laos consulate in Hanoi and they confirmed).
But actually on the way from bus station in Vientiane I have seen one ATM with cirrus sticker! I will try to find one tomorrow and use it! If it works I will write it here for everyone who is also interested in this topic!

#3 pliszkapliszka has been a member since 5/5/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by brucemoon on 2/6/2009 at 20:44

To those interested

In Laos, the ATM's appear to only be provided by BCEL.

And, BCEL machines accept Mastercard (+ derivatives) and Visa (same).

Only proviso is that they are frequently 'down', or the phone lines from Laos to wherevere your bank is can be down.

Cheers

#4 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by pliszkapliszka on 3/6/2009 at 10:33

Hi!
I have tried four ATM with cirrus sticker on and one of them actually gave me my money. So my conclusion is that theoretically they do accept cirrus card, practically they do sometimes. no rules. thanks for all the posts!

#5 pliszkapliszka has been a member since 5/5/2009. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.