Finance and money forum

money problems...need advice...please! : )

• kennedy0826

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hey, okay, so I seem to have dug myself in a bit of a hole.

When I left Korea I had to withdraw about the Korean Won equivalent of $1000 USD in cash because the bank was closed when I went there right before I left for Vietnam (where I am now). This is something the bank neglected to tell me about when I asked them when they were opened or closed, apparently it was some sort of holiday.

As I said, I'm in Vietnam now, and when I asked the bank if I could exchange currencies they said they couldn't convert Won to Dong--I think this will probably be the case in Thailand, Laos and Camodia as well. They did, however, tell me that I could go to the jewelery exchange and that they'd be able to do it for me.

I'm wondering if I should try to convert it all (if possible) into USD--if that would be easier to convert in the countries I mentioned above--or convert it all into Dong and then convert Dong into the other currencies. Also, I was wondering if i should just go to the airport and try to convert it all there...does anyone think this is something they'd be able to do?

I'm not so much worried about carrying the cash as I am worried about not being able to use it, as that's almost half of what I have here.

Please, let me know if you think you have any solutions or advice. It'd be greatly appreciated as I feel a bit lost for now.

Thanks in advance,
    Kathleen

#1 Posted: 6/5/2009 - 18:13

• Advertisement

• Mangala

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 154

The US$ is pretty much supreme in that area of the world - excepting Thailand who have a stable currency of their own. So I'd change the Won into Dollars instead, and when in Thailand the Dollars to Baht.

In VN, Laos and Cambodia the dollar will be how you get by with only local currency showing up as change for items that cost less than a dollar.

#2 Posted: 7/5/2009 - 01:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.