Finance and money forum

4000 euros for 6 months What do you think

• ozzigirl

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2009

Hi guys,

managed to save only 4000 euros for my 6 month trip to SEA. I have already bought my ticket, insurance etc. Was just wondering how tight it'll be. I'll be going to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.

I'm travelling alone and will be staying in dorms wherever possible. Because I'm travelling for 6 months I'd like so stay a bit longer in some places to cut down on transportation costs. I'll try to eat street food as often as possible, but every now and then I'll prob eat a (cheap) western meal.
    I know the Thai islands are more expensive but was wondering if anyone knows a 'cheaper' island with nice beaches. I will have the occasional beer ;-p but don't have the urge to party every night. Have done enough of that in my previous travels ;-)
    I'll be leaving in 2 weeks time and I believe it's lowseason so the prices (hopefully) be cheaper.. is that true? I will be doing Angkor Wat and some snorkeling and an elephant ride... I do want to have a good time and not watch the pennies every minute!

I was also wondering if anyone knew what the prices in Indonesia (not Kuta/Bali) are like compared to SEA. I saw some cheap flight with Air Asia....

So what are your thoughts on the budget? I know it'll be tight but will I have to starve myself ;-(

Thanks for any replies!

#1 Posted: 11/5/2009 - 02:58

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

No need to starve yourself, that amount of money, for budget travel, should be fine.

Cheapish islands -- Ko Pha Ngan remains very cheap (on the less popular beaches) otherwise Ko Lanta, Ko Jum and Ko-Chang (in Ranong province, not the popular one near Cambodia) all have cheap digs.

Outside of Bali, Indonesia is generally cheaper than Thailand.

#2 Posted: 11/5/2009 - 08:46

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

That's a little better that 20 Euro per day. I'd think you could live reasonably comfortably on that. Like you said, staying longer in places will help you cut down on transportation costs. You can often get an acccommodation discount for longer stays as well (or get breakfast or a free bicycle hire included, for example).

I imagine that over a six-month trip you'll also wind up meeting and at least temporarily travelling with lots of different people too. We've done that on our trips, and it helps save money by sharing the costs of rooms, etc.

Also, like you said, travelling off-season will save you money as will visiting off-the-beaten-path places rather than the most popular places. Your best source of up-to-the-minute info and money-saving tips will be your fellow travellers.

I thought Indonesia was quite cheap compared to Thailand and excellent value, particularly on delicious food and Bintang brand beer.

Have fun on your trip. Sorry we'll miss you. We'd have bought you a beer! Cheers.

#3 Posted: 11/5/2009 - 22:24

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

That's a tight, but doable, budget. Isaan is a pretty inexpensive part of Thailand, so kicking around here is cheap. But you haven't left yourself with a lot of money to actually do anything. You have enough to cover food and lodging though.

#4 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 19:50

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I spend 6 months in SEA every year and that's about my budget too. It is doable. I find staying put for a while really helps cut down on costs. in addition to cutting transportation costs you can often get a discount for long term stays.

Indonesia tends to be cheaper than Thailand, has more islands to chose from, some of the best snorkelling in the world AND it's not rainy season there at this time of year...but I see it's not on your list!

#5 Posted: 11/7/2009 - 17:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.