Finance and money forum

Hiding Money

• think87

Click here to learn more about think87
    Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

I recently purchased a leather "money belt", but unlike the pouch style this is an actual belt with a zipper that goes along the entire inside o the belt. Check it out here:

BT Leather money belt

or

Rolfs money belt

#1 Posted: 2/7/2009 - 02:47

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hey, that looks great.

But, how thick would the belt have to be when in Vietnam?

color=red]Cheers

#2 Posted: 3/7/2009 - 14:01

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Interesting -- I'm looking for one of these at the moment! My problem is, as BruceMoon touches on, I need to fit a lot of notes in as I'm travelling with Rupiah and most of the belts seem designed for TQ's and so not all that many notes.

Personally I don't like the moneybelts that go around the waist, neck or leg - normally I just have cash in my wallet and passport in my pocket (or back at the GH), but am in a bit of a quandary as these sort seem the only type that I could fit 40-50 notes into.

think87 - which one of the two did you buy and much cash can you stick into it?

Thanks

#3 Posted: 3/7/2009 - 14:40

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

If your travelling with rupiah or dong may I suggest a camouflaged shoebox.

#4 Posted: 3/7/2009 - 14:47

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Somtam

One of the things I've found interesting in the way people 'hold' money is that there appears a propensity to want to 'hold' it all together.

Some years ago, I learned a lesson from a wealthy Chinese national in China. There, people use cash to a greater degree than in many other places. So, there is a need/desire to have many many banknotes on hand.

This Chinese national had a wallet that clipped onto the inside of his trouser waistband. He also had a wallet in his pocket for smaller note stocks. Only when he needed to replenish the (smaller stock) wallet did he bring out the 'big one'.

I bought a small zipped flat pouch that I can clip onto my waistband. I use it for credit cards and larger banknotes. I use an ordinary wallet for smaller notes.

I found a similar clip wallet (as the Chinese national wore) here:

link

The pic explains all, and allows you to just use your 'day' wallet for smaller notes (etc.)

Cheers

#5 Posted: 3/7/2009 - 16:27

• think87

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

Bruce,

I haven't had to use it in vietnam yet but I can certainly see where your coming from. My plans are to carry US$ 100's and 50's only in it and keep the local currency in my wallet. Have all my large bills hidden in the belt and exchange enough kip, dong etc to have for some time in my wallet. that way if anything happens the majority is hidden safely.

Somtam,

I actually bought both of the ones in the links posted, the cheaper one for my brother :-P

I can tell you that the cheaper one does the job, but you have to really pull it apart and loosen it before you can use it. the stitch is also glued which looks like your going to rip it when your molding the leather but its fine, it does the job.

I personally used the rolfs one and I like, but both work and do the job. The rolfs is better quality, however if you want real 'quality' one, national geographic makes a very sturdy one.

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/product/crossell/3010.html

As or how much you can feasibly get into it, actually if you keep big bills only, 100's, i fit $2000 comfortably, could do 30-40 $100 bills if you really crammed it but the bills might come out rough lol

The unzipped compartment rest against your body, lower back, in the back of the belt and is both extremely safe and because of the position still comfortable even when packed.

#6 Posted: 3/7/2009 - 19:11

• think87

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

* also the $2000 was in 20 US$100 bills.... So I it 20 bills comfortably.... but more could be fit with a little cramming.

#7 Posted: 3/7/2009 - 19:19

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

I have a money belt with the zipper. It is great!

Only use it for the almighty dollar as the SE Asian currency can be bulky, but its a great way to keep some back-up cash in the event of an emergency. Before any trip, I always fold up a bunch of new crisp twentys and fit as many as possible in there.

I use that money belt in addition to one that wraps onto the belt and goes under the pants. Thats good to store your main debit card and more cash.

Use a regular wallet to carry small amounts (what you will spend in a day). If you are mugged hopefully they only take that wallet and you'll be fine!

#8 Posted: 4/7/2009 - 20:02

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I keep my cash in my wallet and my passport (when I need to take it with me - which I usually don't) in my cargo pocket. That's why I like pants with cargo pockets when travelling.

#9 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 01:17

• Vxh

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2010

Be careful with this in Vietnam, you wrinkle your bill too much and it'll be worthless anyway hahaha...True story, they'll only take straight, unwrinkled/uncut/new & clean bills.

#10 Posted: 8/4/2010 - 09:21

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.