Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

$1500 U.S for 2 month in S.A.E

Posted by splashtree on 14/8/2009 at 02:03

flying into bkk early sept. going to siem riep, HCM city, going thru pheom pehn, to hcm city. from there, flying to hoi an, upto hue and halong bay. thru luang prabang to chiang mai and back down to bkk. down thru KL and to singapore.

the whole trip will take me 7-8 weeks. im not looking to slum it all the way so i suppose im what you may call a flash packer. i want to see the highlights (dont have time for all i know) and to some local things but also want to do some diving and splash out where i can.

do you think the budget is sufficient for the trip in mind?

thanks for any fed back

#1 splashtree has been a member since 14/8/2009. Posts: 19

Posted by Lother on 14/8/2009 at 03:23

That comes to about $26-30 a day. I'd say it's a fine budget. That's around what I tend to spend in SEA, and while I'm not sure I qualify as a flashpacker, I don't think I "slum it" a lot either.

Looks like you'll be taking quite a lot of ground transport on your trip, so that's gonna be one expense you should keep an eye on. Also, remember to budget for visas (Cam, Lao, possibly Viet) and insurance if you haven't already.

As I understand it, diving is not exactly cheap even in SEA, so that'll eat into your budget quite a bit, if you choose to go for it.

#2 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214

Posted by MADMAC on 18/8/2009 at 16:37

Beer and woman also eat budgets quickly. Most single guys (don't know if that's your status) don't come here to spend 7 weeks being celibate. This ain't the place for it.

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by BruceMoon on 18/8/2009 at 18:39

splashtree

If you are a flashpacker, I'd suggest you are probably going to have to suck the belt in quite hard near journey's end.

Check out this , and also this . Please recognise that I was suggesting the figures of around US$25/day for BUDGET travel.

While my wife and I can travel in flashpacker sleeping mode, we have sufficient experience to avoid costly oversights.

My personal view is try and find another $1500 to have available as backup in case you need it. That way, you'll feel comfortable in going about it your way (without that oppressive feeling that you'll become destitute in SE Asia).

Cheers

#4 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by splashtree on 18/8/2009 at 23:55

thanks for the replies. i do have more funds available but im flying straight to oz and i dont want to get there with no money. however, if i do end up spending close to the $3000 mark, it wont be a total disaster as i dont want to miss out.

thanks again

#5 splashtree has been a member since 14/8/2009. Posts: 19

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.