Finance and money forum

$1500 U.S for 2 month in S.A.E

• splashtree

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2009

flying into bkk early sept. going to siem riep, HCM city, going thru pheom pehn, to hcm city. from there, flying to hoi an, upto hue and halong bay. thru luang prabang to chiang mai and back down to bkk. down thru KL and to singapore.

the whole trip will take me 7-8 weeks. im not looking to slum it all the way so i suppose im what you may call a flash packer. i want to see the highlights (dont have time for all i know) and to some local things but also want to do some diving and splash out where i can.

do you think the budget is sufficient for the trip in mind?

thanks for any fed back

#1 Posted: 14/8/2009 - 02:03

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

That comes to about $26-30 a day. I'd say it's a fine budget. That's around what I tend to spend in SEA, and while I'm not sure I qualify as a flashpacker, I don't think I "slum it" a lot either.

Looks like you'll be taking quite a lot of ground transport on your trip, so that's gonna be one expense you should keep an eye on. Also, remember to budget for visas (Cam, Lao, possibly Viet) and insurance if you haven't already.

As I understand it, diving is not exactly cheap even in SEA, so that'll eat into your budget quite a bit, if you choose to go for it.

#2 Posted: 14/8/2009 - 03:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Beer and woman also eat budgets quickly. Most single guys (don't know if that's your status) don't come here to spend 7 weeks being celibate. This ain't the place for it.

#3 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 16:37

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

splashtree

If you are a flashpacker, I'd suggest you are probably going to have to suck the belt in quite hard near journey's end.

Check out this , and also this . Please recognise that I was suggesting the figures of around US$25/day for BUDGET travel.

While my wife and I can travel in flashpacker sleeping mode, we have sufficient experience to avoid costly oversights.

My personal view is try and find another $1500 to have available as backup in case you need it. That way, you'll feel comfortable in going about it your way (without that oppressive feeling that you'll become destitute in SE Asia).

Cheers

#4 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 18:39

• splashtree

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2009

thanks for the replies. i do have more funds available but im flying straight to oz and i dont want to get there with no money. however, if i do end up spending close to the $3000 mark, it wont be a total disaster as i dont want to miss out.

thanks again

#5 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 23:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.