Finance and money forum

Money stuff for layover in KL

• eb

Joined Travelfish
    5th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hello. I'm having a great trip, thanks in large part to travelfish and advice I've gotten here. I'll update more substantially after I get back. One quick question though.

I have a one night layover in KL, and I'm wondering how much money I should be exchanging and where. Basically, I'll be arriving in the main terminal, taking the shuttle to the LCCT, walking to the Tune Hotel, going to the food court to get dinner, and then prob. taking the shuttle between the Tune Hotel and the LCCT in the morning. I've already paid for the hotel, so all I'll need to pay for is the transportation and dinner. Thoughts about how much to exchange and whether to just use the booths in the airport? Thanks.

#1 Posted: 15/8/2009 - 09:38

• Advertisement

• jafatravel

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2008

I think all you'll need is 30 ringets max (leaving you a bit of change). The shuttle from KLIA to LCCT is 1.50 ringet each way. For dinner, you should be right with 15 ringets. As a guide, a large McDonalds meal costs about 11.50 ringet. So really you could do it for about 15 ringet I reckon.

Seems like you have no option but to use the airport money exchangers. No point using atms for such a small amount.

#2 Posted: 15/8/2009 - 12:03

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

There's a big foodcourt called the Food Garden near where the buses into town leave from. The food there is not only vastly superior to anything you'd get in MacDo or that other place opposite it in the LCCT but also MUCH cheaper! In fact it's the cheapest food I've ever seen in any airport in the world. There's a choice of different kinds of Malaysian specialities and it's pretty good. Also they do coffee fillups for a pittance.

Once you've dumped your bags at the Tune hotel, wander back to the airport, check out the prices at the foodcourt and then go and change some money accordingly. 10-20 ringgit should be heaps.

PS Can you give a hotel review afterwards please? I've had to sleep on benches at the LCCT a few times when it wasn't worth heading into town for 2 hours sleep ... hence my in depth knowledge of the facilities there! ;-)

Next trip I will avail myself of a bed and shower at the Tune Hotel but wouldn't mind knowing what to expect.

#3 Posted: 15/8/2009 - 23:58

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

PS From what I've read the Tune Hotel is within walking distance of the LCCT terminal?

#4 Posted: 16/8/2009 - 00:01

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

I'd also like to know what the Tune hotel is like. I will be having a 10 hour break in KL in early Nov and this sounds ideal for some sleep and shower food court etc.

#5 Posted: 16/8/2009 - 06:54

• eb

Joined Travelfish
    5th July, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Any idea how hard it will be to find something vegetarian in the food court?

I'm planning to post reviews of lots of stuff after i return home at the end of august. If anyone specifically wants to know details about the Tune hotel prior to that, let me know.

#6 Posted: 16/8/2009 - 19:21

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Easy to get vegetarian food. They have a variety of ready-cooked dishes on display so you just have to point and say I'll have a bit of that and that please. I had some tempe (fried toufu with peanuts) last time and it was quite good.

Don't know about swag but end of August is fine by me! Looking forward to your impressions of Tune Hotel ... I hear you need to buy the A/C option as the rooms are very small and very hot. Probably still a lot better than sleeping on a bench though!

#7 Posted: 16/8/2009 - 21:13

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

"PS From what I've read the Tune Hotel is within walking distance of the LCCT terminal?"

Not really, its a considerable walking distance away from LCCT: probably closish to 2 kilometres. There is a free mini-bus shuttle from the LCCT to Airport Tune.

Given my experience of KL City Tune (bleagh!), I'd also like to hear how this 'new' Tune fares.

As an indication of MYR, factor in possible 'purchases' at Tune for incidentals (eg. towels, aircon, etc.).

Cheers

#8 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 18:44

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

"its a considerable walking distance away from LCCT: probably closish to 2 kilometres. There is a free mini-bus shuttle from the LCCT to Airport Tune.:"

That's not what it says on their website Bruce.

http://tunehotels.com/LCCTTransit_KualaLumpur_Malaysia.aspx

Are you sure you aren't confusing the Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) with the International airport?

I'd be interested to hear about how clean the rooms are and how helpful and friendly the staff are eb ... and whether you think booking A/C is essential. Otherwise the website seems to give a fair idea of what it looks like.

#9 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 18:58

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

Look here for map. My understanding is that the route between LCCT & Tune is walkable, but one must use the roadway. The map has no scale, but that was my estimation.

Cheers

#10 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 20:17

• Advertisement

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Huh???

Bruce

The map in the link you posted shows the hotel's position in relation to KLIA (Kuala Lumpur International Airport). I can't even see LCCT marked on it.

However, a quote from that same link says this:

"Directions: Located (almost) at the doorsteps of the Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT), this Tune Hotel is visible as you are approaching or leaving the airport. It is next to the Pos Malaysia Mail & Courier Centre.:"

That sounds like within pretty easy walking distance to me?

"My understanding is that the route between LCCT & Tune is walkable, but one must use the roadway. The map has no scale, but that was my estimation."

Well MY estimation is that it's on the other side of that carpark right in front of the terminal and that unless one has very heavy bags, road transport there would not be necessary.

"There is a free mini-bus shuttle from the LCCT to Airport Tune.: "

Again, not according to the hotel website. Where did you get your info about free shuttle buses from?

http://tunehotels.com/LCCTTransit_KualaLumpur_Malaysia_Map.aspx

Ordinary folk like me just assume that the Tune Hotel know where their hotel is in relation to the 2 airports and how much they charge for things like shuttle buses.

Silly I know, but I'm gonna hedge my bets on the official website being more accurate and reliable than Bruce Moon's info on this one ... add return fare of 2 RM to your transit costs if you don't think you can make it across the carpark on foot eb!

And can you let us know how it goes... was the experience of getting from the LCCT terminal to the Tune Hotel akin to finding a lost city in the Amazon jungle or a bit easier. ;-)

#11 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 23:00

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

LCCT Tune Hotel, LCCT terminal, Food Garden & POS M'sia marked out here (Tune Hotel = yellow 'house' symbol). happy using the scale to work out walking distance :) let me know if there are any mistakes. the satellite view is outdated, taken before the hotel was built.

#12 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 23:32

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

forgot, here's KLIA's own 'scale-less' map for reference:
    http://lcct.klia.com.my/index.php?ch=23&pg=65

#13 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 23:34

• eb

Joined Travelfish
    5th July, 2009

Hello. Sorry I didn't respond sooner - between settling into a new apartment, starting a new job, catching up w/friends who I hadn't seen in months, trying to get back in dance shape, etc., it has been harder to find time to post here than I had anticipated.

I was satisfied w/my stay at the Tune Hotel. I took the shuttle from KLIA to LCCT. The route goes right by the Tune Hotel, and someone else on the bus asked the driver to stop there, so I got off there as well. The guy behind the desk was very friendly. My room was very "cozy" - the bed took up almost the whole room and there was no closet, but there were some hooks to hang things and I didn't really need more space than that. The room was clean, and the bathroom was pretty nice with a separate shower stall so the rest of the bathroom didn't get wet when you showered. I didn't use air conditioning and didn't feel like I needed it (but I pretty much never used air conditioning on the trip, so if you generally need it, you probably would want it there). There was free internet in the lobby - I think all the computers were being used when I arrived, but when I went down later, a number of them were free, and the speed was decent. Towels cost extra, and I had my own so I didn't rent one (though they do provide a bath mat, and I ended up just using that as a towel so that I wouldn't have to carry my wet one around). There wasn't any soap in the room - I think that was included if you paid for the towel, but again, I had my own. One potential negative is that they require a refundable deposit for the key (RM 5 I believe) and for the towel (RM 10 I believe) which could be a pain if you're just there for a layover and don't have much in ringets. Also, it is walking distance to LCCT, but with luggage early in the morning the shuttle definitely made more sense. This was the most expensive place I stayed on my trip, and it wasn't especially amazing, but you're paying for the proximity to the airport (and this was my only night in Malaysia, so maybe Malaysia is significantly more expensive than Vietnam and Cambodia) and it was completely adequate.

Also, as others have mentioned, the food court is great - tasty food at reasonable prices.

Hope that helps!

#14 Posted: 4/10/2009 - 10:53

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

Thanks, very helpful. Unfortunately i've gotta stay at the tune as i have a layover as my flight was changed to bali :(

cost me like 93myr with towels too!

#15 Posted: 4/10/2009 - 14:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Money stuff in Vietnam and Cambodia ... By eb on 20 Jul 2009 1 2522 21 Jul 2009