Finance and money forum

12 Months Travelling

• benhopes

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Hi,

I'm looking at travelling to Northern Laos, Vietnam and a few of the islands for 3- 4 months, maybe even go to the Phillipines for a bit. I will spend a month in Oz travelling and will then try and settle and get some work there (with the intention of getting sponsorship) and staying there!!

Will £9000 be enough for this trip? Also need to consider that I will be travelling alone so may be spending more on accomodation.
    Thanks

Ben

#1 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 03:07

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Ben

Elsewhere on Travelfish, I've suggested that ppl ought consider 'costs' in SE Asia on a per day basis, and suggested something like US$25 / day (go look here for detail ).

The sum I suggested did not include major travel, though at a pinch it might. I haven't been to the Phillipines, but I suspect US$25 may also be OK.

Australia will more likely need around US$100 / day.

So, for the SE Asia part, you'd probably be OK with 1500-2000 GBP.

Maybe you could use the (substantial) remainder to take me on a holiday when you arrive here in Oz!!!! ;)

Cheers

#2 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 05:51

• BDV

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2008

Ben

have spent quiet a bit of time in the Philippines and you will find accommodation costs are going to a lot higher than the rest of the region. During my last trip there early this year think my accommodation cost averaged around USD20.00 per day.

#3 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 12:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Also, you did not say what you want to do while "traveling". Apart from food and lodging, there are usually expenses for actually doing things.

And if you are interested in beer and / or women - that's a major budgetary bite. Three to four months is a long time to be celibate, and nookie doesn't come for free here.

#4 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 18:10

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

John (MAC)

hahahaha. On 'relationships', I thinks Ben's surname may say it all.

cheers

#5 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 18:30

• benhopes

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Alright lads,

Less of the bullying hahaha!!

Nah obviously I will be paying see the sites and visiting places!! Obviously on the beer and women I will cut back, well beer definitely, women too .... benhopes :)

#6 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 18:47

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey ben,

bruce's recommendation on how to estimate costs is a good one and his numbers match my experience too. i typically spend US$35 per day when i'm travelling by myself, which is flashpacker level, and $60 per day when travelling with the mrs.

like the others say, there will be other expenses, like the costs of tours or entry fees or stuff like that, which might blow your daily budget from time to time. but it sounds like you've got plenty of cash for the southeast asia leg of your trip. you'll even have enough money to impress a girl by buying her a drink or twelve.

as for meeting women? yes, there's a local market for such things, just as MADMAC says, but you can also meet other travellers out there, much like you might do back home.

have a great time, and don't forget to buy bruce a beer once you reach oz. cheers.

#7 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 22:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.