Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

help with travel cheque!

Posted by soQQuadro on 24/8/2009 at 08:00

It might sound a silly question but is the first time I hear of travel cheque so I need an advice.
I'm gonna be travelling fir 8 weeks thru Thailand-Laos-Vietnam and Cambodia so considering the cheque as an option.
But what currency shud I put in?What's best?
currently living in NZ.some euro notes left.
confused.....TA

#1 soQQuadro has been a member since 3/8/2009. Posts: 28

Posted by BruceMoon on 24/8/2009 at 08:41

If you choose to use TC's, I suggest US$ is preferable (most readily exchangeable).

Cheers

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by Rufus on 24/8/2009 at 09:19

I would not use Travellers' cheques. There are plenty of ATMs and I would bring cash as well.

#3 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by soQQuadro on 24/8/2009 at 10:16

yeah,but I really hate having lots of cash on me.I get paranoid;that's the only reason I would choose the cheques.
I have an italian issued visa card.It works here in NZ, should be worldwide accepted..or? Bruce what's a TC?

#4 soQQuadro has been a member since 3/8/2009. Posts: 28

Posted by BruceMoon on 24/8/2009 at 11:10

TC - traveller cheque.

SoQ, remember also that there is NOW a 150baht ATM fee (look here ), in addition to anything YOUR bank (credit card supplier) may impose.

In case you (don't) want to know 150baht = NZ$6.40.

But, there WILL also be a charge to cash TC's. (eg look here ).

And, I suspect kiwi banks will impose a fee to convert NZ$ to US$ to TC (maybe in the order of 3 to 5%).

- - -

As for lots of cash (at least big notes), try hiding... Check out this post for ideas.

Cheers

#5 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by soQQuadro on 24/8/2009 at 13:05

TC= travel cheque, quite straight forward. I had the brain switched off.
I'v spoken to the bank and they reckon there will be a charge of roughly $4 NZ, but weren't sure.so there are heaps of things to add up to that...
mmh. not the bestest option then>
maybe I'll stick to my italian visa plus bit of cash.

#6 soQQuadro has been a member since 3/8/2009. Posts: 28

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.