Finance and money forum

What's the best Canadian bank to use to manage money in SE asia?

• Handsome_Boy

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2009

I'd been planning on doing a budget backpacking trip across SE Asia for a while, but some job-related opportunities came up which had me considering delaying the trip, but these opportunities didn't pan out and now I'd like to leave from Toronto landing into Bangkok within a couple weeks. I'm looking to do the standard, Thailand - Cambodia - Vietnam. I have no itinerary, and am pretty open to going/staying wherever I find I'm enjoying myself the most. I would be a first time traveler/backpacker so I have no experience in this kind of thing (Exciting!).

I have roughly $7.5k canadian which I'd like to last me from 3-5 months (basically until my money runs out), and I'm wondering which financial institution and method for managing my money is best. I haven't bought anything yet, and I'm budgeting roughtly 1.5k for flight in and out of Asia, so realistically I'm only working with around 5.5-6k.

My question is kind of loaded. Firstly, which Canadian bank would be best to use out there? Right now I bank with Royal Bank, which charges $5 per (international) debit transaction, I'm unsure of what sort of exchange rates they offer (not mentioned on their website). I know PC Financial has $3 debit transactions on top of a 2.5% charge on the quantity you withdraw. Are there better banks or is there some sort of bank account that I can apply for that will provide me with a good number of plus withdrawals at a decent cost?

Secondly, how much money should I keep on me? I'd like to minimize my debit costs, but also don't want to open myself up to great loss in case of theft. I'm planning on getting one of those discreet money belts where you can store cash in the lining of the belt. I read that withdrawing 1-weeks worth of cash is a good way to handle your money. Would 2-weeks be risky?

Thanks in advance.

#1 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 11:10

• Advertisement

• cdnexplorer

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2009

Boy:

I'm a fellow Canadian (hence the name), and travelled to Thailand and Malaysia back in the summer of '08. In 1 month I spent nearly $100 from debit transactions, mainly because I did little researched and assumed that I would be charged the standard $1.5 from each bank for withdrawls. Was I ever wrong. I bank with TD and was charged $5 from TD and additional from the local bank.

I'm going back in Feb '10 and will be conducting the same sort of homework, but from what I can tell your best bet is to withdrawl using a credit card (apparently there are a few that offer no-charge international withdrawls), and then pay off your card every month through online banking.

As for how much to keep on your person, I think the best answer is as little as possible. Many people have stories of theft, myself included. I had roughly $200CDN on me after realizing the absurd amount I spent on past withdrawls, and for for the first time in 3 weeks took my moneybelt off on an overnight bus...and that was the last time I saw my wad of cash. Stupidity on my part, but it wouldn't have been so bad if I had only kept 2-3 days worth of money on my person rather than 1 weeks worth.

Do some planning before heading from spot to spot, because I think there are certain places in Cambodia that may not offer ATM access (I think you'll be fine pretty much anywhere in Thailand or Vietnam, but wait for other responses from people who have been to Vietnam). If you do some rough budget planning and research on ATM access, you should have no problem keeping your cash stocked appropriately. But I'd disagree with keeping even 1 weeks worth of travel budget on you at any time.

Best of luck with your travels - you'll love it in SE Asia :)

#2 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 15:00

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

I'm not Canadian, nor have I any understanding of the Canadian banking system (or, should I say banking rort - as the banking rip-offs appear to be global).

I have posted an overview of some of the transaction costs associated with using cash in SE Asia. It may help. Go here .

Cheers

#3 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 17:01

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Hey. I'm a Canadian who's been living in Asia for 3 years now. As far as I've found, PC Financial is the best way to manage your money. They have the lowest transaction fee and easy, full-range online banking.

#4 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 23:18

• Handsome_Boy

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2009

Thanks for the tips guys. I just spent two hours scouring different sites for a Canadian credit card with free currency conversion and low ABM transaction rates (including the few pre-paid credit cards in Canada). I couldn't find anything that had better rates than what is offered by PC Financial. I'm going to open an account with them today.

#5 Posted: 11/9/2009 - 00:12

• go0103

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2009

I talked to TD customer service and had them switch my account from the Infinity Account which charges $5 per transaction to another one(sorry, I forget what it's called)that charges a flat $24.95 a month. It has no foreign transaction fees with the exception of whatever the local bank is charging- may be worth looking into if you expect to be doing regular withdrawals. I'm not leaving for another week still, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that what I've been told comes to pass.

#6 Posted: 23/9/2009 - 02:58

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

$24.95/month?! You expect to be doing more than 5 transactions per month? Wow...

#7 Posted: 23/9/2009 - 14:04

• go0103

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2009

no, but if you've got $2000 to leave as a balance in your account, the fees get waived. You can also get a travel Visa and not pay the $120 annual fee. It works for me, so maybe for others as well. For someone like cdnexplorer who spent $100 in transaction fees, the $24.95 sounds like a bargain.

#8 Posted: 23/9/2009 - 22:40

• go0103

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2009

oh, and you can also have them switch the account back to something cheaper when you get home.

#9 Posted: 23/9/2009 - 22:42

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

Oh, the fee waiver with min. balance makes a huge difference.

Thanks for posting about TD. I had a friend visiting last month and he refused to use ATMs here cuz he said his international withdrawal fee with TD was $8!!

#10 Posted: 23/9/2009 - 22:46

• Advertisement

• lyndenc

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2009

For that TD $24.95 account, you need keep a minimum $5k balance for the entire month, not $2k. Compared to the current ING saving rates, that $25 for $5k a month is a pretty good deal!

#11 Posted: 27/9/2009 - 15:12

• akare

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2009

Hi,

I’m new here but I just wanted to give you a word of advice concerning Credit card “no charge ATM withdrawals”. I worked in banks before and those are considered Cash Advances. Many have used them and gotten bad surprises, I was usually the one who had to tell them the awful truth, that they should ALWAYS read the fine print.

Cash advances should be used in cases of extreme need, and I’ll explain why.

Any money gained through a cash advance will be added to the balance owed to the bank, which includes interest payments and other finance charges, like a transaction fee (Royal bank Visa has those)

The interest on the cash advances is 23% at times. People think a cash advance will get cleared at the end of the month if they pay the amount due on the Credit card in full. But here is the trap.

The interest rate on a Cash Advance, if you read the fine print, is 23% DALY (with ZERO grace period)not 23% annually ( with and X grace period) like any purchase you make with your credit card.

Also, the credit card companies have a “resource allocation” system that says.
    Purchases get paid first.
    Cash advances get paid second.
    Which means that if you have past purchases adding to 100$ then a Cash Advance of 50$ you go to the bank and pay 50$ the same day you did the cash advance. Your payment will not be applied to the Advance unless you have completely paid the 100$ of purchases and any other purchases you process after.
    Complicated eh?
    The objective of this is keeping your most expensive debt (23% Daly) alive for as long as possible.

I would suggest you read the conditions of your cards before you venture. It’s tedious but I’ve had to break bad news to lots of people who thought this was a practical way of getting money overseas. If you decide to use your Credit Card this way, at least you would be informed.

Here is a good link I found about it.
    http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/1-16-2006-86508.asp

#12 Posted: 8/10/2009 - 08:41

• cacruden

Joined Travelfish
    10th November, 2009

Not sure about the local Canadian Banks, but there is an embedded fee from the Thai side - which is 150 baht per foreign ATM transaction - which equates to around $5 CAD per transaction. It applies to all ATMs in Thailand.

#13 Posted: 10/11/2009 - 20:28

• marzou

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2010

Hi!!!

Finally I find a post about Canadian banks for a trip in Asia!!! I am leaving in one month to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia and Indonesia.

Beside TD, you also have RBC that have a VIP account for 30$ a month. It gives you free unlimited withdrawals and free access to their credit cards http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/products/deposits/vip-banking.html
    PC Financial is not in QC, I need to check if QC resident can open an account. They do offer the credit cards.

What about HSBC? the problem for me is that there are not in Laos and Cambodia and that have only one bank in Thailand. Do you know if they have any bank partners, as they have in Canada with BMO and National Bank?

What would be the best bet in terms of fees... paying the account monthly fee (hsbc) and some local bank charges? or paying the full price to be "at least" cover for ou bank fees.??

Thanks a lot !!!

#14 Posted: 18/1/2010 - 06:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
How to manage your money while travelling in Asia ... By somtam2000 on 3 Nov 2007 34 47476 12 Oct 2013
How to best manage my money while in Cambodia? ... By CoraBora on 10 Jun 2012 1 2673 29 Jul 2012
Canadian bank card (Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos) ... By grace88 on 22 Jul 2011 1 3732 23 Jul 2011
Lost my passport money and Bank card.. ... By potta_boro on 18 Aug 2011 20 6146 20 Aug 2011
Withdraw large amounts of money at bank counter, not ATM ... By CPatrick on 14 Jul 2012 5 4251 31 Aug 2012
emergency money during Khmer new year bank closures ... By sayadian on 14 Apr 2012 2 2075 14 Apr 2012
Diabetes - how to manage in Asia? ... By agajarat on 7 Sep 2010 0 1825 7 Sep 2010