Finance and money forum

Money worries thailand

• jeffuk

Joined Travelfish
    5th October, 2009

I know I really shouldn’t be but a little worried about money, I would love to finish my trip off with a couple of weeks in Perth after spending 2 months in Thailand. I’m from the UK so most of my working is in £’s

I will have saved a total of £3600 for my trip. I will be planning on spending around £150 on things I will need to take with me backpack etc and IF I go to Perth my flight will cost me £900 so I will be down to £2550.

I have all accommodation paid for in Perth as I have family there, so will be saving £450 for spends in Perth giving me around 800Aus pretty sure that will be enough.

So my main worry is spends in Thailand, I will be spending about 58 nights in Thailand as a lone traveller, I’m guessing the cost of accommodation will rise for me as I’m on my own I’m budgeting for £15 a night around 800BHT is this realistic for most places? And around £10 for food and water a day which is just over 500BHT that leaves me £10 a day to spend on beer and just enjoying myself again around 500BHT.

I do plan on going to Jan full moon party and would love to do my PADI scuba training in Koh Tao. Do you think I have been realistic with my budgets for food and accommodation or have I over/under done it? I would knock going to Perth on the head if it will compromise my time in Thailand.

Sorry about the long post, hope you understand my maths :o) and help or advise would be amazing.

Cheers

Chris

#1 Posted: 8/10/2009 - 13:48

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Chris,

Looks ok to me. 800B a night outside of the major tourist centres is plenty, and even in the centres will get you a more than adequate room.

For diving on Ko Tao, do check out Ayesha & Wilco if you're looking for a more personalised touch, but even that aside, I think you've got more than enough dosh to keep you going.

have fun!

#2 Posted: 8/10/2009 - 15:34

• sidewinder

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 7

Looks totally realistic to me. Very rarely will you even have to use the whole 800B if you're not too fussy about where you stay. You'll have plenty of cash left over most nights

And £20 for water/food/beer is doable too, although the beer money will soon evaporate considering you'll be paying £2 for a large beer in the most touristy places.

#3 Posted: 8/10/2009 - 15:47

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I'm sure your budget is fine for the room, food and drink. But remember that there are other things to pay for; unless you plan on not going far you will have travel costs which can add up.

Also, I understand PADI courses aren't cheap, so try to get an idea of how much they will cost.

#4 Posted: 8/10/2009 - 21:51

• jeffuk

Joined Travelfish
    5th October, 2009

Cheers guys thats very helpfull, still thinking of cutting out Perth, just incase, i kind of want to do everything i want to in Thailand and not have to worrie about money very much, not booking flights until the end of this month so we will see what happens when i start clicking around for flights lol.

#5 Posted: 8/10/2009 - 23:55

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Assuming you are doing budget hotels and eating local, the two things that eat money fast are booze and women. Thailand is full of very hot women willing to do the deed for a small fee - a fee that will break your budget. Then there's beer. When it's hot, nothing tastes better than an ice cold beer. But if you're celibate, and don't drink much, and stay out of the tourist spots... then yes, that budget is fine. Let us know how it works out.

#6 Posted: 14/10/2009 - 00:38

• jeffuk

Joined Travelfish
    5th October, 2009

Hi guys,

Just found some cheaper flights :o) now im flying from London, to Bangkok, staying in thailand for 30 days, then flying to Kuala Lumpur for a connecting flight to perth, where i will stay for 10 nights, then back to Kuala Lumpur and back to bangkok to stay again for 20 days and back to London, all costing £630 saves me £270 :o)

Also im thinking of doing some volunteering in Thailand for 1-2 weeks which works out to be a much cheaper 1-2 weeks so will save spending for that time. Really hope iv got enough to enjoy myself!

#7 Posted: 14/10/2009 - 00:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Money worries in Thailand ? ... By henricartier on 16 Mar 2008 7 2372 18 Mar 2008
MONEY WORRIES WHILST TRAVELLING!! ... By potta_boro on 3 May 2011 1 3258 3 May 2011