Finance and money forum

atm card broken, credit card stolen - and now?

• maria_s

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 8

hi guys,
    maybe someone has experienced a similar situation and has any advice.

my visacard was stolen in malaysia, which is not that bad because I still had my atm-card and an amex credit card. but now my atm is broken and indonesia amex is widely not accepeted, apart from the fact that getting cash with it is expensive.

I will be travelling until january, so I need a long-term solution, a friend joins me in 3 weeks and she could bring me both new visa and atm. but what to do until then? a fellow traveller now borrowed me some money for the first days and I heard it is pretty easy to get cash money trough western union.

though I do not really feel comfortable with carrying around a lot of cash.

any experiences with sending atm-cards from europe to asia? would a bank do that or is it better to organize it privately?

thanks a lot for any advice.

M

#1 Posted: 10/11/2009 - 15:01

• Advertisement

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

hello maria

your bank will probably not send your card anywhere other then your home address , mine did not when i lost it in phukket last year. it is easy to send money through western union but not so cheap, i think i cost me 50 pounds to get 500 pound sent to me(ask your bank if they send this for u , my bank nationwide could not do this but last year my friend who banked with first direct got them to sort this out for him , and because he banked with them they did not charge him for this service.)

then i phoned my bank cancelled my card ask them to send a new one to my home address , the got my parents to send to asia via fed ex or dhl , i can not remember which one but it cost about 45 pounds.
    total time from lose of card to deliery in phukket about 12 days

cheers

danny

#2 Posted: 10/11/2009 - 22:10

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

just for more info i just talked to my dad who said he sent it with ups , due to fed ex and dhl both refusing to deliver cash cards aor cridit card, also with ups we had to state that this was a deactivated card

#3 Posted: 10/11/2009 - 23:23

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

just for more info i just talked to my dad who said he sent it with ups , due to fed ex and dhl both refusing to deliver cash cards aor cridit card, also with ups we had to state that this was a deactivated card

#4 Posted: 10/11/2009 - 23:59

• daisymax

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2010

Identity thieves have even gone so far as to create a completely false ATMs in busy locations to see the cards. The user adds the paper and get it back, but without the transaction is .

#5 Posted: 15/9/2010 - 16:37

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

I had to get new cards in Bangkok about 5 years ago. Amex had an office and a new card was issued there. Can't remember how long it took but was satisfactory at the time. Also, Bank of America had a commercial lending office that I went to. Explained my situation and even though they didn't deal in that sort of stuff, made the calls for me and picked up a new card there also. The Thai lady at BoA was actually just a receptionist but really went out of her way to help me. I actually wrote a letter to them about her later. That was a first. :) To help me get through, I just had my daughter wire me money through Western Union. Expensive yes, but, if you're stranded on an island, you eat whatever is available. :)
    Just a thought. Maybe you could have new cards sent to your embassy. Wish you luck and hope it all works out.

#6 Posted: 15/9/2010 - 17:35

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I had this happen while in Singapore - lost my credit and debit card. Luckily for me, I had a backup card for each to alternative, infrequently used accounts. It just meant I had to log in and get money transferred to my alternative account.

I was also lucky in that I had someone flying over to meet me within 3 weeks. However, my banks would not mail replacement cards to his address. Instead, they would only mail to the address that they had on file. I decided this was OK as my mail was forwarded on to my parents, and my friend could get them from there.

I would suggest you contact your bank (use Skype at an internet cafe if necessary to help keep your costs down), report the stolen cards if you haven't done so already and ask them for their suggestion as to how best get money to you in the short-term.

Work out your budget for the next 3 weeks until your friend arrives and get this amount (plus a bit extra sent by Western Union, or whatever method your bank suggests. Don't worry about carrying that much cash around for the 3 week period - it's a better alternative than trying to organise several cash transfers.

Good luck getting this sorted. And in future, NEVER have your credit card and debit card in the same place (unless you have back up cards with you).

A tip for anyone else to consider BEFORE you leave home: Banks won't give you a spare ATM card to the best of my knowledge; you can only have one active card to your account in your name. The way around this is to set up a joint account with a parent or trusted friend and get two ATM cards, one for each account holder. You then taken both cards with you - but keep one in your wallet, and one buried deep in your pack.

#7 Posted: 15/9/2010 - 17:35

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

bummer about the lost cards. i always worry about that possibility too - my cards being lost or stolen or demagnatized by an overzealous security scan or situations where the ATM network is down for a day or two. (happened to me once in Mexico!) because of that, i usually try to carry roughly about 10% of my trip money in cash and another 10% in travellers checks. that way i've got something easy to exchange if needed for emergencies. plus, if i can save the TC's until the very end of the trip, then i've got that as splurge money for shopping or dining or a splash out room or something.

i don't know about in NZ where lizzy lives, but back here in the states you can always make a bank account a joint account so that more than one person can have an ATM card for that account - e.g. a spare card. i know my sweetie and i both have ATM cards on all of our joint accounts, and my mom and sister have cards on a few of my mom's accounts where my sis is joint owner. particularly if you travel alot and/or have a specific account that you use when overseas, it isn't a bad idea to have that emergency back up card with a friend or loved one who didn't make the trip with you, just like you'd do with a copy of your passport, travel insurance, etc.

#8 Posted: 16/9/2010 - 04:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Good PrePaid Card, Credit card or Debit Card (from UK)...? ... By lukusmaca on 28 May 2013 5 3306 19 Nov 2013
Nok Air Credit Card Fraud? ... By itsallaroundyou on 26 Oct 2006 6 3272 29 Oct 2006
DINERS Credit Card ... By ebsb on 9 Dec 2010 2 2603 10 Dec 2010
NZers - Why use a credit card in Thailand? ... By danceswithrose on 28 Dec 2010 1 2493 28 Dec 2010
What is a good credit card for travellers? ... By morganmontana on 12 Apr 2006 13 27240 4 Nov 2007
Credit card in guesthouse safe? ... By ronin999 on 2 Oct 2009 4 3549 25 Oct 2009
Vietnam Airlines & Credit Card/Passport Name ... By jojo123 on 15 Nov 2010 6 4037 20 Nov 2010
Changi Airport - Cash or Credit Card ... By BrumbyJack on 16 Jan 2013 1 1395 16 Jan 2013
Sending credit card details to hotels ... By meisos on 5 Jan 2010 6 3619 7 Jan 2010
Hotel Deposit Payment - Credit Card Authorization ... By joha on 17 Sep 2008 10 11479 20 Nov 2008