Finance and money forum

Budget for SEA, OZ and NZ - 90 days

• Johng

Click here to learn more about Johng
    Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

hi all.. due to some miscalculations and misfortune (literally) I don't have as much cash as I thought, for a 90 day trip..(starting in December in SEA)

I think i have about £3000 UK for 3 months.. but a bit of that will get eaten by other unforseen things I am sure..

roughly speaking, thats 55,000 THB, $1,780 AU and $2250 NZD for each month of the trip..

I realise SEA will be many times cheaper than the other two, so with some finacial movement away from SEA towards the others, what possible living standards am I looking at?
    it's an impossible question really but I would need basic travel factored in (not local flights), reasonable meal or two a day and the odd nights out, trips to places..
    Am I in backpackers for 3 months? or is there scope for some luxury if I take it careful for a few days a week.. luxury I imagine would be a decent hotel at a resort..

any thoughts very welcome.

John

#1 Posted: 12/11/2009 - 19:30

• Advertisement

• Johng

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

sorry I should add that it's 5 weeks in SEA, only 3 in OZ and 4 in NZ.. NZ I think will be just out of peak season, Oz wont be...

#2 Posted: 12/11/2009 - 19:39

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

Hi Johng,

As for Australia, you need at least $100AUD a day to have any sort of fun or do anything in Australia.

That's without factoring in any daytrips or anything...

I think the majority of people here would say you are fine on that budget in SEA.

#3 Posted: 13/11/2009 - 04:40

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

That budget looks good for the SEA month of the trip, but I'd be pretty nervous about the OZ and NZ months with just that much cash on hand. You'll be able to save some of your SEA budget, but probably not as much as you'd need to make a significant difference for the other two countries.

Is there any way you can stay in SEA a bit longer to stretch out your money a little more for the OZ and NZ legs? Do you have the right to pick up casual work in Australia or New Zealand to help make your money go farther?

We'll be in Thailand in December, so if we run into you we'll buy you a beer or three to help stretch your budget. Best wishes. Cheers.

#4 Posted: 13/11/2009 - 06:25

• Johng

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

thanks both, you agree with each other and also confirm my thoughts.. Exacto, thanks very much for the offer of beer or three , would take you up on that! :)

I can't really move the flights, as it's about £75 extra per flight.. with hindsight I should have really experinced SEA for the sake of the others but still.. I can always come back :)

3 weeks in Oz seems a good way to see some of the East coast, I am Cairns to Sydney.. and as for NZ, my brother lives in Wellington, but conversly being away with him will make my life more expensive not less!

I am going, leaving a few £ behind for when I come back.. I can dip into that for the odd experience if needed, especially if I have been a good boy in SEA.. I should have a job to come back too :O but I dont want to rely on that if at all possible..

thanks again
    John

#5 Posted: 13/11/2009 - 19:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.