Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

Nationwide Cash Card

Posted by gillerz960 on 18/11/2009 at 18:46

Hi, everyone seems to agree that Nationwide is the best bank to use as the withdrawal fees are the lowest with their VISA Debit card.

I tried applying for this and they will only offer me a Nationwide Cash card account so it does not have a VISA debit card and just a cash card instead.

Does anyone know if this cash card will work in SEA and if it is still worth applying for the bank account?

#1 gillerz960 has been a member since 17/11/2009. Posts: 16

Posted by tails101 on 18/11/2009 at 19:56

Yes is the answer... The card won't let you buy anything directly using the card but will allow you to get cash out of any cash machine that has the Mastercard or Cirrus symbol. It also doesn't yet charge anything for overseas cash withdrawals according to the Nationwide web site which is a bonus over the standard flex account...

"Q:I have a Cash Card Account that I use to withdraw cash when I'm on holiday. Will I be charged?
A: No. Initially, only Visa debit card transactions will have a fee applied. Your cash card is run by a different provider and is only available for withdrawing cash (it does not have facilities to make purchases online or at retailers). Our Cash Card Account is our Basic Bank Account and is available/suitable for customers who meet the Basic Bank Account criteria."

#2 tails101 has been a member since 1/4/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 105
 Twitter 

Posted by tails101 on 18/11/2009 at 19:57

Oh, and as PS, despite the fact Nationwide have introduced a charge on the Flexaccount, the 1% fee (levied by Visa and passed on by Nationwide), still results in much better exchange rates and cheaper purchases/withdrawals overseas than most of it's UK competitors.

#3 tails101 has been a member since 1/4/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 105
 Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.