Finance and money forum

Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia

• wombatfuz

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2009

I'm flying into Bangkok possibly in May 2010. Need some advice on money matters. Still rather unsure after reading most of the money matters postings.

My rough plan:
    I won't be staying overnight in Bangkok. Taking a sleeper to Chiang Mai, spend maybe a week before crossing over to Laos (via the 3 days slow boat)

Will go to the usual places like Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng, maybe Vang Xai and Sam Neua before proceeding to Vietnam and finally onwards to Cambodia

My budget is
    USD 5000

I plan to carry
    USD4000 in Travelers cheques
    USD700 in cash
    THB300 in cash

Is this a good plan? Or should I carry less THB since I can always change USD into THB if i really need to.

I'm changing the USD cash into Vietnam Dong, Laos Kip and Cambodia Riel when i reach these respective countries.

#1 Posted: 7/1/2010 - 16:31

• Advertisement

• wombatfuz

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2009

Corrections:
    I plan to carry
    USD4000 in Travelers cheques
    USD700 in cash
    USD300 in cash (converted in approx THB9938)

Also of concern in changing money in Laos.
    Should I change baht to kip or use USD to change to Kip?
    How easy is it to spend my remaining baht in Laos?

#2 Posted: 7/1/2010 - 16:48

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

I'm all for travellers cheques - it seems one of few who are - but i think you should take less of these and more cash. TC's are easy to use in Thailand and in Laos - i'm not sure about the others - but sometimes you might be somewhere where banks don't accept TC's but DO exchange cash. OR if you're in a jam you might be able to pursuade whoever to take dollars but no way would you be able to use TC's

I used TC's throughout Laos and had no problem but it did mean i had to do quite abit of forward thinking - unsure if banks where i was going cashed TCs - and also meant i was carrying round a silly amount of kip [think millions]

So, the only piece of advice i feel confident in giving is to split the cash/TC's differently. I don't mean go crazy with cash but maybe having abit more wouldn't be such a bad idea.

any reason why you don't just take an ATM/debit/credit card?

#3 Posted: 7/1/2010 - 16:54

• wombatfuz

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2009

Thanks for the great advice, Christay.

Never used TQ before. So I won't be able to cash TQs in USD? Will only receive local currency?

I shall have more USD cash with me then.

I will have credit card and debit/ATM card for emergency use only.

#4 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 09:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
27 y/o female heading from Northern Thailand thru Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Southern Thailand ... By starseed on 4 Mar 2011 10 3385 25 Apr 2011
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and back to Thailand - Good Plan? ... By PeterJW on 25 Sep 2011 3 3121 27 Sep 2011
Travel buddies wanted SE Asia (Thailand-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Thailand) 22nd Nov - 1st Feb ... By LottieJ on 14 Nov 2012 0 1219 14 Nov 2012
23yo male, frm uk, 3months travelling Thailand-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Thailand.. Jan2011 ... By benrob87 on 6 Oct 2010 4 2939 11 Dec 2010
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and back to Thailand ... By JamesHamblin on 8 Apr 2009 8 6619 11 Apr 2009