Finance and money forum

Internet banking in SE Asia - who does?

• Jleef

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Interested to see who banks online in SEA versus who wouldn't dream of taking the risk. I'm thinking at the moment that when I travel it might be better to leave my banking details with a family member and use email to communicate with them about transfers and statements. It'd be a nuisance, and I'd probably still need to use my card now and then for things like internal flights, but I guess it would be safer than risking it in internet cafes.

...or am I being overly cautious?

#1 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 02:57

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

I don't know if that's being overly cautious, but certainly more cautious than I've been. I've done quite a bit of online banking from different SEA countries with no problems.

This of course depends a lot on the type of security your bank uses. As mine requires entering both a personal PIN number and one from a set of codes which I carry with me and can only be used once each, I don't really see great risks in doing online banking from internet cafes. Even if they had a keylogger or a similar scheme running, they could only capture the PIN, which is useless without the codes I have with me.

#2 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 03:09

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I don't, not at a public computer. It's not that I'm overly cautious, I just find it easy enough to call my bank's hotline back home when I want to know what's going on with my account. Sure it costs a little bit, but it's usually a minute or less of calling time.

#3 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 03:11

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I pay almost all my bills online, mortgage, credit card, everything. I have even paid employee witholding taxes and unemployment taxes as both my federal and provincial government allow online payments.

So far so good.

#4 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 03:55

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I wouldn't use an internet cafe terminal for internet banking, but I use my own laptop using WiFi etc for it all the time.

#5 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 08:09

• helenb

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2012

We're planning to be in SEA for 3-6 months. While we are there, I'd like to check our bank finances, make some online transfers, and buy return tickets with credit cards but I've heard horror stories of people's accounts being hacked just by logging on using public internet. Is wifi safer? What security precautions do you take? I'm thinking of bringing my iPad, or a small laptop.

#6 Posted: 23/3/2013 - 01:23

• boaby

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2011

Hi,

Its very wise to be cautious there are a few options open to you you can purchase travel cards from the like of thomas cook or post office

before you go its basically an electronic travellers cheque also you can go and see you bank manager and inform him so you can arrange a phone call to him .

I myself work all over the world and wish i had a beer for every online banking horror story

safe travels

boaby

#7 Posted: 3/5/2013 - 09:26

• boaby

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2011

Hi,

Its very wise to be cautious there are a few options open to you you can purchase travel cards from the like of thomas cook or post office

before you go its basically an electronic travellers cheque also you can go and see you bank manager and inform him so you can arrange a phone call to him .

I myself work all over the world and wish i had a beer for every online banking horror story

safe travels

boaby

#8 Posted: 3/5/2013 - 09:29

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

If you use your own personal computer/phone should be ok. I had to use a public computer at one point but wouldn't recommend that unless you absolutely need to.

I did next to no banking during my trip as what I did before hand was transfer a good chunk of money over to my credit card account so I wouldn't have to pay it while travelling. The rest of my bills come out automatically for the most part and my cell bill I arranged to have reduced and paid all in one go before I left.

#9 Posted: 3/5/2013 - 10:01

• mtothes

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2013

Don't banks use https? Even if there are crooks on the wi-fi hotspot you're using, the connection between your PC and bank is encrypted anyway.

Having said that, there are other considerations with public computers found in internet cafes, such as keyloggers, trojans, etc....

As long as you're using your own computer and you know it's clean, online banking via unsecured public wi-fi should be safe, right?

#10 Posted: 11/5/2013 - 14:20

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Using Internet banking while in SE Asia ... By daflj on 1 Sep 2008 1 1855 2 Sep 2008