Finance and money forum

Reasonable Pre-Paid Travel Card

• michaels57

Joined Travelfish
    14th December, 2009
    Total reviews: 4

I just thought it was worth mentioning a product I found avail. in Australia from the ANZ bank. Its a pre-paid travel card (after some research appears to be one of the cheaper options)that is available in 7 denominations including US dollars (Perfect for my trip to Cambodia next week).

You purchase the card for $11 AUS and then load your cash onto the card at a set exchange rate (No FEE for the initial deposit) and then use it as a VISA card for purchases (no fee) or at VISA atm's (Around $2.50 USD withdrawal fee).

I have used an ANZ travelcard in Euros for a trip to Europe and it worked very well. A cost effective option compared to Credit Cards or Travellers cheques.

the website is: www.anztravelcard.com/

(BTW I don't work for the bank I just found their product very handy!)

CHEERS

MICHAEL

#1 Posted: 13/1/2010 - 10:26

• Advertisement

• cKristina

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2010

Thanks for the site. I have always wondered about this issue. I was going to get a travelers VISA, which was offered by my bank.

#2 Posted: 14/1/2010 - 11:12

• muzza

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2009

also available from most travel agents is "travelex" which is the same pre load type card, cost zip to load and the last time I used one(2 yrs ago) it was $3 aus per withdrawal. Could be used at any visa site. Cant recall set up cost but low.
    muzza.

#3 Posted: 14/1/2010 - 18:02

• michaels57

Joined Travelfish
    14th December, 2009
    Total reviews: 4

So I used the ANZ travel card, worked quite well used it like a VISA when I could at some resturaunts and accomodation. The first time I went to withdraw money from an ATM i decided to use the ANZ Royal bank thinking that there would be no fees, same bank, right? not so! I was charged and extra $4 US for the privelidge. Next I tried Canadia bank where there were no extra fees. Needless to say I searched out a Canadia ATM for future withdrawals!

Hope this helps.

#4 Posted: 13/2/2010 - 12:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Using Pre-paid card in SEA? ... By Winstan on 3 Jan 2012 14 7590 8 Aug 2012