Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

Reasonable Pre-Paid Travel Card

Posted by michaels57 on 13/1/2010 at 10:26

I just thought it was worth mentioning a product I found avail. in Australia from the ANZ bank. Its a pre-paid travel card (after some research appears to be one of the cheaper options)that is available in 7 denominations including US dollars (Perfect for my trip to Cambodia next week).

You purchase the card for $11 AUS and then load your cash onto the card at a set exchange rate (No FEE for the initial deposit) and then use it as a VISA card for purchases (no fee) or at VISA atm's (Around $2.50 USD withdrawal fee).

I have used an ANZ travelcard in Euros for a trip to Europe and it worked very well. A cost effective option compared to Credit Cards or Travellers cheques.

the website is: www.anztravelcard.com/

(BTW I don't work for the bank I just found their product very handy!)

CHEERS

MICHAEL

#1 michaels57 has been a member since 14/12/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by cKristina on 14/1/2010 at 11:12

Thanks for the site. I have always wondered about this issue. I was going to get a travelers VISA, which was offered by my bank.

#2 cKristina has been a member since 11/1/2010. Posts: 3
 Website 

Posted by muzza on 14/1/2010 at 18:02

also available from most travel agents is "travelex" which is the same pre load type card, cost zip to load and the last time I used one(2 yrs ago) it was $3 aus per withdrawal. Could be used at any visa site. Cant recall set up cost but low.
muzza.

#3 muzza has been a member since 30/6/2009. Posts: 13

Posted by michaels57 on 13/2/2010 at 12:28

So I used the ANZ travel card, worked quite well used it like a VISA when I could at some resturaunts and accomodation. The first time I went to withdraw money from an ATM i decided to use the ANZ Royal bank thinking that there would be no fees, same bank, right? not so! I was charged and extra $4 US for the privelidge. Next I tried Canadia bank where there were no extra fees. Needless to say I searched out a Canadia ATM for future withdrawals!

Hope this helps.

#4 michaels57 has been a member since 14/12/2009. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.