Finance and money forum

backpacker doing SE asia for 5 months, how much will I need!?

• scl

Joined Travelfish
    10th February, 2010

Helloooo!
    Im a 19 year old female backpacker on a budget and Im planning a 5 month maybe 6 month trip from indonesia and all the way up to india.
    just wondering how much you think i will neeed.

i was thinking maybe $500 (canadian dollars) a month? ill be living cheap and eating cheap but buying lots of souveniers.

the help would be greatly appreaciated!! thanks!!

#1 Posted: 10/2/2010 - 18:56

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

500 Canadian per month comes to about 16 USD a day. Even if we forget the souvenirs, that's a pretty tight budget. Some people would travel with that, most probably wouldn't like it.

For me, I think $16 would be manageable in India and parts of Indonesia, maybe Laos too, but on the small side even there. For Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and esp. Malaysia $20-25 would be more comfortable.

#2 Posted: 17/2/2010 - 02:30

• wombatfuz

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2009

If you are travelling with that kind of budget, then I hope you have a huge stash of funds for emergency.

Accomodation and travel will eat up a huge part of that budget. And you need to eat, maybe go on a trekking trip, pay admission fees to certain places of interest.

Lots of things may crop up when you are abroad that requires you to fork out more money.

You want to live cheap and eat cheap but you may get tired of living in cheap hostel with rats and bugs and eating crappy food. Please don't be too hard on yourself, after all it's a holiday.

As a budget, I will plan $25-$50 a day. It is probably luxurious for certain places and flashpacker worthy in others.

#3 Posted: 17/2/2010 - 11:09

• muzza

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2009

As an old traveller (age & time) I would be looking for a budget of $30>50 aus for this elcheapo type of trip. Not including flights.
    best of luck.

#4 Posted: 17/2/2010 - 18:18

• muzza

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2009

As an old traveller (age & time) I would be looking for a budget of $30>50 aus for this elcheapo type of trip. Not including flights.
    best of luck.

#5 Posted: 17/2/2010 - 18:20

• alj

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010

Cost of independent travel varies quite a bit between the various countries in the region, to get by on as little as possible, you need to spend time in rural Laos, Cambodia or Vietnam. Malaysia is a bit more expensive (especially beer), and Thailand can vary considerably depending on what you do. If you travel slowly and spend your time sitting on beaches/exploring independently it'll work out a lot lot cheaper than if you spend your time on tours and partying. For detailed guideline costs broken down by country, www.roam-the-world.com is helpful.

#6 Posted: 24/3/2010 - 15:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
4300$ for three months for a firsttime backpacker? ... By SimonD on 4 Feb 2009 4 2352 4 Feb 2009