Finance and money forum

Nationwide disaster

• appro

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 19

Most UK travellers know that Nationwide is the best bank account for foreign withdrawals. I received a letter today to say NW are changing my cash card to a new 'cash card plus' card. Great new features - but you can't use it abroad! Nooooo! NW wouldn't let me upgrade to the visa debit card. Bummer!

I set off next month on a RTW trip. I need to find an alternative bank account that offers decent rates/low charges on foreign withdrawals. Any ideas?

#1 Posted: 7/3/2010 - 18:24

• Advertisement

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Most of the banks absolutely rinse you when you tak out abroad. I bank with Halifax, they charge 2.75% of the transaction plus an additional £1.50

I tried to get a debit card with Nationwide but found their customer service to be terrible.

I ended up taking U.S $ travellers cheques and a small wad of cash.

#2 Posted: 7/3/2010 - 18:57

• stevejames00

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

oh no I've just sent off for a nationwide account, do you know if this is changing for everyone?

This site compares all the UK bank cards abroad:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money

#3 Posted: 8/3/2010 - 01:05

• appro

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2009

Everyone with the cash card account. They're sending out new cards between June & September.

I've seen the comparison, it's all pretty dire.

#4 Posted: 8/3/2010 - 18:35

• ms1892

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2009

I think Santander in the UK offer an account called 'Zero' which offers free international withdrawals. Therea are some conditions attached, i think you need to deposit £1000 or more each month, but it may be a viable solution for some.

#5 Posted: 8/3/2010 - 19:53

• nips2689

Joined Travelfish
    21st December, 2009

I am going travelling to Asia on April 2nd and i tried to open a nationwide account, to get the flex account, however they are clamping down on people just opening them to travel, my boyfriend got one just in time but i have now gone with hsbc..
    Their advance account which is £6 for the first 3 months and £12 after offers free withdrawals abroad..

this was the next best thing i could find in a little amount of time.

#6 Posted: 8/3/2010 - 20:49

• appro

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2009

The HSBC account might be a good idea - £12 a month is still a lot cheaper than loads of fees. Ta.

#7 Posted: 8/3/2010 - 20:54

• appro

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2009

Looking into the fine print of the HSBC account it seems they have a 'foreign exchange charge' of 2.75% on every withdrawal. Not sure how they can get away with saying it's free!

#8 Posted: 8/3/2010 - 21:11

• nips2689

Joined Travelfish
    21st December, 2009

yes but they dont apply their own fee aswell like other banks

#9 Posted: 8/3/2010 - 21:25

• appro

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2009

The Cumberland Building Society don't charge, but you have to live near one of their branches.

#10 Posted: 8/3/2010 - 21:28

• Advertisement

• ambee124

Joined Travelfish
    27th February, 2010
    Total reviews: 2

Although it's too late now you might be interested to know that today I talked to a Nationwide guy and he said around a month ago they had lowered their credential requirements for getting a debit card. I got rejected about three months back and he said I would probably be allowed one- I'm hoping I get it before I go away to take advantage of the no withdrawal fees!

#11 Posted: 18/6/2010 - 19:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.