Hong Kong forum

How expensive is Hong Kong?

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I'm interested in Hong Kong, but from what I read, HK looks pretty pricey? Can someone compare prices to those of South Korea or Taiwan.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 12:56

• Advertisement

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi Daawgon,
    Well, I haven't been to South Korea of Taiwan, but hopefully I can still be of some help.

Hong Kong accommodation can be quite expensive. There are budget guesthouses but they can have a reputation for being grotty (ie., some Chungking Mansions hole) and the budget places with good reputations do seem to book up quite far in advance - so if you're not able to pre-book, you can easily end up spending a lot of either time or money on finding a decent place to stay.

For example, I only started looking at accommodation a couple of days before I arrived (in peak season), and had a hard time finding something that looked nice but was also cheap (even the YWCA was asking for 1400 HK$ a night for a private room). I ended up paying 600 HK$ (around £50) for a private room in a budget hotel out by Chai Wan MRT.

Transport is reasonable - it's easy to get around using local ferries, trams and the MTR, and excellent value for money (the ferry across the bay was only 5.50 HK$ if memory serves). A lot of the museums are cheap (maybe 10 HK$), if you're into that sort of thing.

Restaurants can be very expensive or reasonably cheap, depending on where you go and how careful you are - meals at cheap restaurants/cafes can be had for 20-30 HK$).

Hope that's helpful!

#2 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 13:55

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Thanks Antonia, sounds a lot like New York or San Francisco prices! I did find a few shared apartments under $100. at Airbnb. Sounds like the old credit card will get a workout in Hong Kong!

#3 Posted: 23/1/2013 - 11:56

• drumbrake

Joined Travelfish
    21st September, 2007

Accommodation is expensive (even a bed in a grotty dorm is US$10 a night minimum), but food, transport and sights are cheap or reasonable.

#4 Posted: 25/1/2013 - 09:34

• waytogo

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2011

In terms of expenses HK is pretty identical to any major Western city I'd say. As for accomodation, the cheapest single rooms are around 250. I always book through hostelworld dot com.

#5 Posted: 5/2/2013 - 02:09

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

But to do that you'd have to worry about getting a mainland visa as well - multiple-entry too. Not to mention the hassle of getting back and forth. I've recommended flying into Shenzhen to visit HK if you are coming from the mainland, just because airport tax and avoiding 'international' flight. I don't think you'd want to base yourself there.

#6 Posted: 27/2/2013 - 22:26

• cardkleener

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2013
    Location Canada

Hi Here's what I did /do. I went to the West Hotel in Kowloon. In the morning I went and looked and found a guest house. It's basicallty half the price of a hotel. I've been to Hong Kong 6 times and do the same thing. The reason I didn't stay at the same quest hpuse twice was because they are all booked. Otherwise I would of.
    Hong Kong is a beautiful place. Food is inexpensive. Great shopping with bartering.
    Enjoy and have fun and don't let the cost of accomodations prevent you from experiencing Hong Kong.

#7 Posted: 1/7/2013 - 16:45

• robinwhite

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2013

Sorry never been in Taiwan or Korea. But spend some time for a party in HK. If you are booking an accommodation online without comparing with other websites could be expensive. As many websites offers deals and discounts if you book things like air tickets, car rental and hotels. I still remember my friends bachelor party in HK. One of our friend arranged every thing for us from flight to hotel and cars from tripntourpackages.

It wasn't that expensive. Even we got a discount of 20% on car rental and hotels. Even the flight tickets were cheap. I would suggest you to check http://www.tripntourpackages.com/ for cheap accommodations. I hope you will get something you are looking for.

#8 Posted: 13/8/2013 - 17:17

• PeterMFL

Click here to learn more about PeterMFL
    Joined Travelfish
    21st September, 2013

I think it's just as cheap as Taiwan! Barging is better in Hongkong from my experience though

#9 Posted: 21/9/2013 - 03:58

• Kenji67

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2013

Yes, it's quite expensive in HongKong. For the accommdation, if you pick a hotel that is far from the central locations, that could be an economic option. You may save half of the prices than that living in the center. For the food, it's about $5-8 depending what you've chosen to eat. The room in HongKong is really crowded.

#10 Posted: 19/11/2013 - 00:34

• Advertisement

• thk

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2013

I agree that accommodation in Hong Kong is rather expensive. An ordinary hotel room can easily cost HK$1000 upward per night. Otherwise, Hong Kong is a pretty cheap place to travel compared to Japan, Singapore, and many western destinations. Transportation and food are quite affordable. Taking a trip with a taxi won't break my bank. Admissions to attractions are very reasonable too, with many popular places you don't even need to pay a dime for the best sightseeing experience.

I think overall, Taiwan is cheaper to travel, but it isn't like Hong Kong is expensive at all.

#11 Posted: 5/12/2013 - 12:32

• foodtravell-
    ife

Click here to learn more about foodtravellife
    Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2014

Hong Kong is one of those crazy cities that can be as cheap or as expensive as you like. The gap between the rich and the poor is extreme and this can be good or bad depending on which way you look at it. Very generally speaking, things get a lot cheaper the further north towards the New Territories you venture e.g. You can get a rice and meat/veg dish for around £1GBP! Accommodation will be your biggest cost and that gets cheaper the further north you go, so it depends on how far out you're willing to go. (btw Transport is great and reasonably priced in HK!)

What kind of things are you into or looking to do in HK? And we can give guidance on how much it will cost

#12 Posted: 19/9/2014 - 17:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hong Kong to Hanoi ... By tati53 on 19 Feb 2007 1 4040 5 Mar 2007
Hong Kong: An introduction ... By somtam2000 on 23 Jan 2013 0 2979 23 Jan 2013
Hanoi to Hong Kong ... By daniel4 on 1 Jun 2011 3 4445 2 Jun 2011
china visa in hong kong ... By peppermintpaddy on 27 Jul 2008 7 4931 21 Apr 2011
Arranging visa in Hong Kong ... By ElSpudo on 22 Mar 2013 0 1450 22 Mar 2013
What's the most famous attraction in Hong Kong? ... By youngsman on 27 Feb 2013 10 4108 11 Dec 2014
hanoi to hong kong flight ... By tomlo1981 on 24 Dec 2008 1 2859 26 Dec 2008
Travelling from Hong Kong to Singapore. ... By bournemouth2009 on 6 Jan 2009 0 2334 6 Jan 2009
Hiking on Hong Kong island ... By streetfoodaus on 14 Jan 2013 5 1993 15 Jan 2013
hong kong to hanoi by train ... By hartley2 on 13 Mar 2009 4 4799 17 Mar 2009