Idle banter forum

Shared bathrooms?

• luce_uk

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2009

Hi

I leave in a few weeks for a RTW year trip all around SEA and Aus. What i was wondering is what are the shared bathrooms like in the hostels/guesthouses? Are they generally kept clean, and how many showers per people do they have e.g do you often have to wait to get showered? Any horrible experience with grotty places? And where do people dry their towels and stuff?

Thanks for your replies!

#1 Posted: 9/4/2010 - 16:18

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

They're generally OK.... My experience is that shared bathrooms for beach bungalows are dirtier and more bug-infested than in proper guesthouses. Obviously it depends on the particular accommodations though.

As a general observation, I'd say about 2 showers/toilets per floor of the guesthouse. I've never seen a long line-up for showers, but have gone to shower to find them full and had to wait 5 min. People hang their towels to dry in their room.

#2 Posted: 9/4/2010 - 17:49

• Gorey

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3

I've found they vary greatly and when i've been in a position where im sharing (ordinarily i specifically seek out private toilet/shower) i check them at the same time i checking the room before deciding to stay.

Usually they're fine, not any dirtier than say university halls/dorm shared showers. I've encountered bugs/lizards/spiders in virtually every guesthouse bathroom (private or shared) but never to an extent that seemed dirty or uncomfortable.

#3 Posted: 9/4/2010 - 19:23

• Sophia_India

Click here to learn more about Sophia_India
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Shared bathrooms vary from place to place. Usually though, they tend to be kept pretty clean and you might have to wait for a shower at peak times - eg the morning, however i don't think they are bad or will be a distruption to you.

#4 Posted: 2/6/2010 - 18:56

• bradmcfc81

Click here to learn more about bradmcfc81
    Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I personally am not a big fan. There always seems to be a queue, or somebody in the bathroom when you need it. You end up wasting half an hour of your day and it can become pretty annoying after a while.

#5 Posted: 29/7/2010 - 06:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.