Idle banter forum

how quickly can a location get ruined?

• andrea13

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

just wondering, since everyone says that as soon as its published in a lonely planet guide all the good things about a place can get destroyed. so, do you think if lonely planet etc says a place is isolated or whatever, that it will be the same 6 months later?

#1 Posted: 24/5/2010 - 21:18

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

Well, not all places mentioned to be isolated by LP get ruined. And not in six months anyway. In my opinion, this effect is more pronounced with single guest houses and restaurants etc. A guest house can sometimes really change a lot if it gets recommended by LP and starts receiving lots more guests.

#2 Posted: 24/5/2010 - 22:52

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Usually if it's in LP, it's already on the map.

On the other hand whole provinces will only get a couple of paragraphs because they don't yet have a backpacker scene and no one will go there becaus it's "boring".

#3 Posted: 25/5/2010 - 10:10

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

quite a few guidebooks have done a pretty good job of turning most people off Oudomxay town in Laos.

#4 Posted: 25/5/2010 - 11:01

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

When people use LP to find isolated-yet-easily-accessible spots that nobody’s ever heard of, they usually fail to take into account the fact that millions of other travellers are in possession of the exact same information.

Stands to reason that if LP does a detailed write up raving about some unknown new gem of a place it’ll quickly be absolutely mobbed with people looking to escape the tourist hordes.

The trick is to look for succinct one line entries in LP along the lines of...

This remote spot totally devoid of tourists is VERY time consuming and uncomfortable to get to (ie we haven't been there either) and we strongly recommend you learn the local lingo before going.

Like Somsai says, if it’s in LP it’s also on a map. The reverse isn’t true but how many people use maps to find out where to go these days.

#5 Posted: 25/5/2010 - 16:04

• andrea13

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

argh thats so annoying. one of the things im actually most afraid of (except, obviously, murderers etc) is finding all these places just for them to be full of tourists

#6 Posted: 25/5/2010 - 21:38

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

My cure for seeing tourists is the electric razor.

#7 Posted: 26/5/2010 - 08:02

• Manticore

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

I rarely find places lacking tourists so when I do find a good spot, I tend to keep it to myself. I know its selfish. But what I dont wanna see is a quiet and peaceful place become another Khao Sanh Road or Vang Vieng.

#8 Posted: 31/5/2010 - 22:16

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

"quite a few guidebooks have done a pretty good job of turning most people off Oudomxay town in Laos."

. . . I think I might have done that too.

Seriously though - I agree with the idea above that looking out for words like "interesting" but "difficult to get to" is a good way to find something a little unspoiled.

For example - in Western Sichuan (China) the write up on Tagong Grassland, or the example of certain beaches on Phu Quoc (Ong Lang Beach/Thang Loi Resort for example) which are described as quite because they really are - and people who want to gather and party go to Long Beach while those looking for isolation go to the beach with fewer bungalows that is further afield.

#9 Posted: 1/6/2010 - 09:45

• Sophia_India

Click here to learn more about Sophia_India
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

I agree that once it is in the LP its pretty much ruined.
    I went to Palolem in Goa in 2004 and there were no tourists, only a few places to stay and i returned 9 months later and there were loads of people. It just wasnt the same, and all in the space of a few months!

#10 Posted: 2/6/2010 - 18:13

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.