Idle banter forum

Going to Nepal through India, has anyone?

• Mexicano31

Joined Travelfish
    8th April, 2010

Hello all,

Im travelling through SEA for some 6 months starting this July and I am thinking about doing a "in the middle" trip to Nepal and India around october. I see flights are cheap from KUL to New Delhi on Air Asia and then there are not too bad prices from New Delhi to Kathmandu. Im thinking 2 weeks in India to get a glimpse of the country and then 2 o 3 in Nepal to see some amazing landscapes and monasteries. Im really excited about this two countries since I am a photographer and the visual content would surely be amazing.

Has anyone around done something like this before? any tips, suggestions, warnings?

#1 Posted: 10/6/2010 - 04:11

• Advertisement

• Sophia_India

Click here to learn more about Sophia_India
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Definately fly! the overland route takes ages and is very uncomfortable and exhausting and one of the worst journeys ever, for a little extra you can fly, its more convenient and is very quick too. Check http://www.cleartrip.com/ for the best deal flights which will give you all the prices for all the airlines and the times etc....

#2 Posted: 14/6/2010 - 20:57

• JourneymanT-
    raveller

Joined Travelfish
    28th June, 2010

I'd take the overland route simply because you see and experience far more. It depends, of course, on your stamina! We flew, from London, into New Delhi, then took a bus to Jaipur, then another to Agra. We then took the train to Varanasi (overnight) and then, finally in India, another bus to Chitwan in Nepal. From there, we took buses again to Pokhara and then to Kathmandu from where we flew out. Exodus do that exact route as a Discovery Tour so you could get some inspiration from that trip and investigate buses etc. It can be very challenging mind you, and you might want to fly some of the routes.

For photography, to name but a few - Taj Mahal at dawn, Amber Fort at Jaipur as well as the Jantar Mantar Mughal observatory, Varanasi and the Ganges, Chitwan National Park in Nepal (from the back of an elephant), Durbar Square, Pashupatinath, Boudhanath and the Golden Temple (Patan) in Kathmandu and then, of course, the Himalayas. The foothills of Nepal are also quite amazing as are the local villages you'll see if you go by bus, instead of flying over them...

#3 Posted: 25/7/2010 - 21:58

• Mexicano31

Joined Travelfish
    8th April, 2010

Thanks a lot Journeyman, I will look those places up.

#4 Posted: 26/7/2010 - 19:03

• Mexicano31

Joined Travelfish
    8th April, 2010

Thanks a lot as well Sophia :-)

#5 Posted: 26/7/2010 - 19:25

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Have you checked out www.indiamike.com? Seems like you got some good answers here, but that's a solid website for India/Nepal travel, with a very good forum.

#6 Posted: 27/10/2010 - 03:41

• arounddworld

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2010

namaste and best wishes for Diwali to all :o)
    Am about to hit the road from India to Nepal, but I'd like some advise from you guys. which would be the best route to follow, which border to pass? there are so many, UP, bihar, west bengal...which is the less troublesome, and which is offering the best scenery of all???
    looking forward to your suggestions!

#7 Posted: 6/11/2010 - 07:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Video: India and Nepal Montage ... By dougiemceachern on 27 Aug 2013 3 1166 24 Jan 2014
3 months? Thailand, Myanmar, Nepal, and India? ... By mthawkins on 18 Apr 2014 2 732 18 Apr 2014