Idle banter forum

How to deal with blonde hair for 5 months?

• Missbonnie

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2009

Was wondering if there are any blonde travelers that can help me out with this? So i have bleached blonde hair, its a block colour. Can you find enough hairdressers that can deal with blonde hair in your travels? Last time i went to Thailand (Chiang mai) i went to a hairdresser and said they had no idea how to do the colour. I did only try the one place however!

#1 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 06:26

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

High-end salons in malls in the cosmopolitan big cities (Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore) can handle it. Otherwise, even if you find someone who's willing to attempt it that hasn't done it before, you probably won't be too happy with the results.

Honestly, I'd just buy some really good leave-in conditioner, a anti-brass shampoo, and suffer through the dark roots 'til I got home.

#2 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 13:43

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

I am in the same situation, bleached blonde hair, but instead of dark roots I am completely gray! Not willing to have gray hair for 14 mos.
    My solution: My hairdresser has sold me the color & taught me how to mix it. I will take 2-3 doses with me initially & I have friends meeting me along the way who will bring along the rest.
    I plan on going to a salon to have them apply it so I get an even application.
    I know it sounds kind of crazy & a lot of work just for hair, but gray is something i just won't do.

#3 Posted: 30/7/2010 - 22:53

• Missbonnie

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2009

I just realized i posted this thread in 'travel deals' - fail!

Thank you for your fee back, what i think i might do is get foils in my regrowth so it wont look so dirty when it grows out.

Savory gal, do you have to take much in regards to beach powder? That might even be a option.. i really don't want to loose my blonde hair to my yucky natural colour! Might have a chat to my hairdressers

#4 Posted: 31/7/2010 - 05:08

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

good thing a bleached blonde was looking for travel deals!

The solution I take is a gel and a total of 3 oz for each application. (2 oz of developer & 1 oz of color) which is handy since each bottle is still within the limits for carry on liquids.

I would ask your hairdresser to hook you up.

#5 Posted: 31/7/2010 - 06:06

• Candu

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2011

Hi!

I just went to get blonde hilights out in today in Chiang Mai.

Before I left I thought natural hair was a good idea, but I was so bored, and desperate to find a good colorist. I was recommended to Nan at Siam Sexy Salon.

I went there today and asked for some bright, but natural looking blonde highlights. She did such a great job. I was skeptical at first but it turned out great. My hair looks naturally lightened. No orange, brass, etc which I was scared of running into with inexperienced blonde artists.

Not only was the cut and colour great, but the price was outstanding. 600baht for cut, highlights, style. On top of that, Nan was a real pleasure. Here English is great (although she thinks it has far to go) but the communication barrier was not there. I would definitely recommend her.

She is located near Wat Jot temple. [url=tel:080-8602710]080-8602710[/url]

#6 Posted: 8/10/2011 - 19:12

• libralibra

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2013

Hi,

"Blonds" can relax - at least in Chiang Mai .

There is now a hair salon that knows how to handle blond hair!

It is New York New York Salon in Nimmanhaemin Soi 13.

Vera, the owner of the salon, is an excellent color expert and stylist who has been trained and working in the US for nearly 20 years with Sassoon, Aveda, DevaCurls etc. at the East and West Coast.

She knows what she is doing with color and cuts.

After my devastating experience with two salons in Chiang Mai (getting reddish, yellow and orangy hair! and a destructive razor cut with my wavy hair!) - Vera did a great job to correct the color and make my hair look less frizzy. She made not only my day - she made my stay in Chiang Mai!

The prices are comparable to other high end salons.

My partial low and highlights + cut cost B 3150.

#7 Posted: 29/4/2013 - 22:38

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Well I can't speak for all of SEA, but I live in provincial Thailand and lots of young girls here get their hair colored. All kinds of funky colors - including bleach blonde. There are hair salons everywhere. It won't be a problem in Thailand.

#8 Posted: 30/4/2013 - 01:07

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

The concern, MM, is whether or not they are familiar with working with 'western' hair as opposed to Thai hair. It's different in it's underlying characteristics which means it behaves differently with colour (so I believe). If you're going to get your hair coloured, you want to make sure that they know how to mix the dye correctly for your hair. Otherwise the results could look pretty disastrous!

#9 Posted: 30/4/2013 - 21:52

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I'll have to ask the young English lady who's a school teacher here. She gets her hair colored. Not my area of expertise.

#10 Posted: 1/5/2013 - 02:23

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I was watching some documentary/reality show thing the other night. An English woman went to live on some remote island in Indonesia for a month - living in a rather primitive manner. When she arrived, one of the local men snipped off some of her hair to use in a 'welcome' ceremony. He held up the hair clippings, and in his local language, described the hair as being like 'monkey hair'.

I never thought of my hair as being like 'monkey hair' - but I guess to people are only used to seeing thick, coarse black hair, that's the way they see it.

#11 Posted: 1/5/2013 - 04:42

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I don't know, but I do know that all the men around here want to have sex with blond, white women. Even those that are not otherwise particularly attractive (at least physically). So monkey hair or not, there is something about it that they like.

#12 Posted: 1/5/2013 - 06:39

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

And western men find the opposite.

#13 Posted: 1/5/2013 - 20:54

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Yep- attraction to the exotic.

#14 Posted: 2/5/2013 - 02:43

• Maryanne

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2013

Oh my goodness, you absolutely must go to an experienced hair salon if its for Blonde hair, especially in Bangkok.
    I made the mistake of going to a salon in Khaosan road thinking the area has a lot of tourist's so they must be able to do blondes right? How wrong I was, they didn't just turn my hair orange but damaged it too.

If your in Bangkok just go to Zenred Salon, it's specifically for tourists and travelers who want a good job by experienced Internationally trained stylists that speak decent English. they fixed my hair that I thought was totally ruined and I got Brazilian Keratin done there too. Just go and find zen red's facebook fanpage and you can see my pics there and hundreds of others with blonde hair.

At the end of the day we are in Asia and most people here have black straight hair, they just don't have the experience or products to deal with Caucasian hair type and blondes. SO you absolutely must go to a salon that is doing it daily and they have years of experience working with blonde hair etc.

Either that or play hair roulette! beautiful today ruined tomorrow... it takes too long to grow my hair and its who i am, im not going to gamble again.

#15 Posted: 19/6/2013 - 06:00

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"SO you absolutely must go to a salon that is doing it daily and they have years of experience working with blonde hair etc."

Where the **** are you going to do that if you are in Nong Khai or Chiang Rai? Outside of some very selective areas, there isn't anyplace doing it daily. You can always go with the Sinead O'Connor look if it doesn't work out.

#16 Posted: 19/6/2013 - 11:36

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

So you wait until you get to the big smoke...ie Bangkok. People travelling are always moving n and out of the cities at some point.

#17 Posted: 19/6/2013 - 16:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Or wait until you go home...

Many, if not most, of the itineraries I see here, if they start and end in Bangkok, they don't go there in between. Know what I mean Liz?

#18 Posted: 19/6/2013 - 20:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.