Idle banter forum

How is everyone?

• think87

Click here to learn more about think87
    Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

Feels like its been ages since I was on here getting great advice and sharing stories with all you on here. Settled in now and back from the latest SE asia trip. just wanted to say hello and catch up a bit from anyone whos interested. That includes you MADMAC since I missed seing you in Muk lol.....

#1 Posted: 10/7/2010 - 04:54

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi think,

do you have plans for another trip anytime soon?

#2 Posted: 11/7/2010 - 10:26

• think87

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

Hello exacto,

Yeah I have some plans for this winter Although since I just did 4 months in SE Asia I'm planning on it up a bit and going to the mid east for a bit. Most likely Egypt, Jordan, Turkey and maybe one more stop. I was planning on doing the rest of Se Asia like phillipines, indonesia etc but I've always wanted to see the pyramids lol. however after a 7 day pass at Angkor, going to the far off Koh Ker and Preah Vihear Temples my expectations are pretty high ;-P

#3 Posted: 11/7/2010 - 10:33

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey Think,

I've heard good things about Egypt and Jordan, although I've never been. I lived in Turkey for several years and thought it was a particularly great place for travelling around. Istanbul can be as unfriendly as any major city, but it also has amazing history and charm, a great deal of variety, and a good public transportation system. Some of my favorite spots outside the city are Cannakale and the nearby Dardanelles and Gallipoli, the little town of Selcuk, which is near Ephesus, and Cappadocia. Pamukkale and Bergama (Pergamon) are worth a look too, but they are a bit harder to reach if you don't have your own transport.

#4 Posted: 11/7/2010 - 22:19

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

For the "one more stop" place, consider Syria. It's got some amazing archeological sites too... Palmyra, Bosra, Krak de chevaliers and Aleppo to name but a few.

I lived in Damascus for four years back in the 80s... it was perfectly safe and the people were very hospitable and friendly even though when I was there diplomatic relations with the west had been severed and most of the embassy staff had left.

Not sure what the transport situation is like now though. There was zero tourism when I was there and we had our own car.

#5 Posted: 12/7/2010 - 04:24

• think87

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

Sounds really good guys. As for Turkey I'll definitely get those places down on paper and keep them in mind. I'll probably have a month to spend there. I don't tend to last in capitals very long so Istanbul probably won't be an issue as all capitals tend to be a little too busy for me.

I hadn't looked in to Syria although it sounds like it just might be the way to go. I'm always up for archeological sites. Also it seems from I briefly looked into to be one of the cheapest places in the area which is always a plus for me.

Thanks for the info.

#6 Posted: 12/7/2010 - 04:43

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Think
    Just let me know next time you pass through. Did you go to Norees? That band is a must take. They're just damn good.

#7 Posted: 30/7/2010 - 01:14

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

i am not so good , thanks for asking though :)

#8 Posted: 30/7/2010 - 02:38

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

sorry to hear that Chris. Hope things improve soonest.

#9 Posted: 30/7/2010 - 17:30

• think87

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

Yes I ended up goin to Noree's albeit only one time but it really was a great time. Spent most of my time there checking out the local life, awesome night market etc. Very friendly people. Walking to my hotel I got waived over by two separate families to talk and sit. Great place to call home im sure.

#10 Posted: 21/8/2010 - 12:39

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

It is a cool place to call home. Glad you made it to Norees. I love that place.

#11 Posted: 22/8/2010 - 11:40

• think87

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

so how is everyone again? :)

Been browsing travelfish alot lately for an upcoming trip in Oct. To Burma, Vietnam, malaysia and Thailand and wanted to sys hi.

Very excited about Burma and malaysia, a little uneasy about Vietnam, and Thailand well I feel like visiting some favorites again.

Hope all is well

#12 Posted: 31/7/2011 - 11:20

• think87

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

also madmac mukdahan was great really thinking about doing an overnight train to ubon and making my way there for a day or two again .if your around would be great to get in touch.

#13 Posted: 31/7/2011 - 11:30

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I should be here. just drop me a line.

#14 Posted: 31/7/2011 - 15:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.