Idle banter forum

Favourite hated towns

• 5acrefarmer

Click here to learn more about 5acrefarmer
    Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2009
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

Anyone got a town they sort of hate but sort of love?

I remember ages ago when I first arrived in (then) Calcutta, I hated it but ended up being stuck there for several days and grew to like it.

Often the best travel stories to tell are the ones involving pain and misery and awful awful places!

#1 Posted: 21/9/2010 - 17:05

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Bangkok, aka Krung Thep, aka a name so long no one remembers it. First time I went I hated it. Dirty, hookers everywhere, traffic from hell, architecture is an abortion. Second time I loved. Go figure.

#2 Posted: 22/9/2010 - 00:51

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

indeed Bangkok, first time I hated it, second time it was ok, 3th time started loving it, 4th time loved it. 5th time still loved it, ...

#3 Posted: 22/9/2010 - 14:26

• 5acrefarmer

Click here to learn more about 5acrefarmer
    Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2009
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

I liked Bangkok the one and only time I've been there. I think this is because I got from the airport to my very pleasant accommodation without a problem so started there in a good mood.

#4 Posted: 22/9/2010 - 16:44

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Like Mac, I also hated Bangkok when I first went there. It was my third major Asian city after Tokyo and Hong Kong. The air was filthy (tuk tuks still used diesel), the noise was deafening, it was hot and humid, and 5 days was more than enough. I headed straight for Kathmandu which, at the time, made Bangkok seem like a 5-star resort.

Now I consider it to be a second home and am constantly planning return trips.

Another one is Buffalo, New York. It was pretty rough a while back, but now I love the place ... even though it's a ghost town after 6:00 pm. Outstanding architecture, great food, great micro-breweries, cheap NHL tickets.

#5 Posted: 25/9/2010 - 00:49

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Buffalo? My sister lives in Toronto - not far away.

#6 Posted: 25/9/2010 - 17:25

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Buffalo is 100 miles from TO via the highway (QEW). Less than 40 as the raven flies. I don't think that you could find two major centres that are so close together, and so completely different from each other. Not around here, anyway.

Toronto is a good city. I like Montreal more, though.

#7 Posted: 25/9/2010 - 21:14

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I prefer both Kingston and Quebec myself. I used to live in Chaumont, near Watertown. Long time ago now.

#8 Posted: 26/9/2010 - 19:19

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Kingston is very similar to the town where I live. Both were built, mostly, of limestone. Kingston has done a better job of preserving its buildings, though.

Quebec City is, of course, a one-of-a-kind place. Stunning! I think it's a must-see for any visitor to Canada. However, being one that enjoys nightlife, I would have thought that you'd prefer Montreal.

Chaumont??? Wow. Another very nice area. I know that part of NY a bit. Used to go to A. Bay once in a while with my cousin, and dated a girl whose family had a place on one of the islands.

#9 Posted: 30/9/2010 - 23:17

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Alex Bay is a nice area. I like nightlife, but it's not an obsession (although salsa is - I'm a confirmed salsaholic). I just don't like sleepy backwaters for more than a day. Nothing to do. I dined with officers of 10th Mountain Division (I'm retired US Army) at the citadel in Quebec City. Fantastic experience with great food and service.

#10 Posted: 2/10/2010 - 23:01

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Huge salsa scene in Montreal!

Dinner in the Citadel? You're lucky!

#11 Posted: 3/10/2010 - 10:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.