Idle banter forum

Made the wife proud today

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

With the end of the rainy season coming, everyone in the village is shooting firecrackers. Being in the festive mood, I bought some. Well, I threw what I thought was a small one on to our porch roof in an attempt to scare the wife. I now have a 4 inch diameter hole in the roof. Needless to say she failed to see the humor. I'm leaving now to go find the local carpenters. :)

#1 Posted: 9/10/2010 - 10:49

• Advertisement

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Hahaha. Where are you staying? It's been on and off with the rain here in Battambang. Those muddy roads can be a real pain!

#2 Posted: 9/10/2010 - 11:43

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Ha ha - lovin' it! So now your wife isn't impressed with the attempt to scare her NOR the hole in the roof! That gave me a good chuckle tonight!

#3 Posted: 9/10/2010 - 14:13

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

I'm in Ubon, Thailand. Same with the rain and the roads here. Lizzy, I think she now gets a perverse enjoyment of telling everyone about it though. Kind of a "Look what the dummy did today" thing.

#4 Posted: 10/10/2010 - 06:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

That's hillarious man. That's sounds exactly like something I would do - and my wife wouldn't have a sense of humor about it either.

#5 Posted: 11/10/2010 - 10:57

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Madmac....been waiting for you to home in on this one. :) Even though we end up paying to fix it, they still don't see the humor. I live in Missouri in the US, so a lot of trees and leaves in the fall. I have a good friend that built a new house about 10 years ago. Well , the first fall, I went out to help him blow up all the leaves. He also had a father-in-law that made homemade wine, of which we decided to test the latest samples. Keep in mind we were rinsing our mouths with whiskey. Finally, a little before dark we decided we should finish our project and we set fire to the leaves. To keep it short, his wife comes out of the house, he is looking at the house, I'm standing there holding a non-working water hose and looking at the house, she looks at him, looks at me, and then walks back into the house without saying a word. I went home. :) I would like to say I have never seen a woman so mad but that would not be true. She was speachless. :) I guess the point of my story is that women are the same no matter where you go. How were we to know that vinyl siding melted at such a low temperature point. Just like I didn't know that harmless looking firecracker would do such damage. I look at the bright side, no one was wounded by schrapnel from the tin. LOL I''m sure I've stepped off in it with the ladies on the forum, so busylizzy, let's hear it.

#6 Posted: 11/10/2010 - 18:35

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well, that's what he gets for having vinyl siding on the house. That stuff is hideous.

Thai's aren't the most rational people on the planet. Women aren't the most rational people (Sorry Liz, but I think this can be demonstrated with surverys) on the planey. Thai women... definitely not rational.

#7 Posted: 12/10/2010 - 23:57

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Oh no you don't! You're not bringing me into this. You've just given me good reason to chuckle over the cornflakes - that's all! (She steps back from the firing line, quietly recalling some of her own 'blond moments' that she has in her time but wouldn't dare mention ....)

"Sorry Liz, but I think this can be demonstrated with surverys) on the planey"
    Say what?? I think someone ELSE has been washing their mouth out with whiskey :-)

#8 Posted: 13/10/2010 - 03:00

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Madmac....I suggest you find a link to a survey somewhere and fast. LOL As for vinyl, when's the last time you bought a house in the states? People are lucky to afford siding at all. :) Thai ladies. How many times have you heard "That's what Thai people do" from your wife to explain something. They can't give you a reason.
    Liz....If you don't play poker, you should. :) I have a feeling you would be hard to beat.
    When women have their "moments", then they laugh about them also. Like when I bought the wife a washing machine. She turned all my white underwear bright pink the first time she used it. She thought it was hilarious. As for my latest episode, I think she is partly to blame anyway. If she had told me about the damage caused by the first firecracker, I probably would not have thrown the second. It's not like she didn't have ample time to do so as they were several hours apart. Wow. That is a classic example of feminine logic , isn't it. :)

#9 Posted: 13/10/2010 - 08:32

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Liz....If you don't play poker, you should.
    Ha! I got invited toa Texas Holdem' game last year – the first time I ever played. (although I was vaguely familiar with normalpoker). About 10 of us played... Icleaned up and walked away with the $$ pot at the end. As the invited newbie, I wasn’t popular. Never was invited back! L

#10 Posted: 13/10/2010 - 10:02

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Neosho
    The reason they can't give you a reason is because there isn't one. Actually, my wife, who is very Germanic in her manner and cultural views, thinks Thais are stupid. She says this frequently. And she doesn't do a lot of inane things - but man does she hold a grudge. If I did something she didn't like five years ago, she's still going to get up some mornings and be mad about it. Not exactly rational!

""Sorry Liz, but I think this can be demonstrated with surverys) on the planey"
    Say what?? I think someone ELSE has been washing their mouth out with whiskey :-)"

Liz, I'm just saying, I'm just saying that men perhaps have a different outlook on things. Like we use logic... and perhaps, women tend more toward more emotional responses to issues. I don't want to suggest anything that might make you uncomfortable here - just put it in the background.

BTW I hate whisky. I'm a beer and Tequila kind of guy. My father gave me a straight shot of Sotch whisky when I was a kid at my grandfathers house, and that put me off whisky for life.

#11 Posted: 14/10/2010 - 11:56

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hey Mac - no bad, uncomfortable feelings here. I was just teasing you about your typos! Besides there's probably some truth to what you are saying. (Now I'll get slammed by others for letting the team down!)

#12 Posted: 14/10/2010 - 14:01

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Madmac.....My first wife (American) was the grudge holder. That woman had the memory of an elephant. I have seen examples of the Thai's holding grudges though. Especially if you make them lose face. My current wife seems to have the mai pen rai attitude....about everything. :) Sometimes that's good, sometimes not so good. It can be kind of like living the movie "Fifty first dates". :)
    As for drinking, I've always been the whiskey drinker. I get along very well attitude wise with it. Let me drink beer all night and I might wake up in Poland. :)
    Liz....I always lose at poker. I love the crap tables though.
    BTW.....The wife bought some more firecrackers to sell yesterday. She told me I can't have any to play with. :)

#13 Posted: 15/10/2010 - 07:39

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"My current wife seems to have the mai pen rai attitude....about everything. :)"

Want to change wives? My wife doesn't have a Mai Pen Rai attitude about anything.

#14 Posted: 17/10/2010 - 11:12

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Interesting offer but I'll have to pass LOL The lady I'm with now is extremly quiet also. Not that she"s introverted, she just doesn't speak unless it necessary. Her brothers and sisters seem to be that way too. Now the 5 year old stepdaughter is a different story. From the moment she wakes up until she goes to sleep that little girl is talking.

#15 Posted: 21/10/2010 - 08:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.