Idle banter forum

Xmas and New Year in Thailand

• Daisy32

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2010

I am going to be in Thailand for 3 weeks from 18th December and am looking for ideas of where is a good place to be for xmas and new year. I am a 32 year old female travelling on my own ( a little terrified ha ha) and am pushing myself out of my comfort zones with this trip thats for sure, cheers

#1 Posted: 3/11/2010 - 20:56

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Daisy,

I guess a good place would depend on what you like to do and what types of places you'd like to visit/experience. For a first trip to Thailand and if you were looking to meet up with new folks on the road, the obvious Chiang Mai or one of the islands could be a great choice. But there are other more out-of-the-way places too - just depends on your comfort zone. Some of my personal favorites are Nong Khai, Trat, and Kanchanaburi. I think you'd find a good mix of locals and western travellers at those places and definitely enough fun and interesting things to do for a few days.

No matter what you decide, remember that the international New Year is a very busy travel time in Thailand, so you'll want to have your transport and accommodation sorted ahead of time (or be settled in already) so you don't get caught short.

Anyway, let us know what you want to do and maybe we can make more specific suggestions for you. Have fun. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 3/11/2010 - 22:40

• Daisy32

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2010

Thanks for your reply, my only committment is going to visit a friend in Krabi, so I was thinking a bit of time around Bangkok, Kanchanaburi and Khao Yai NP then travel down to Phuket/Krabi probably spend xmas with my friend but then was a bit stuck about new year - i had thought about Kho Samui but not sure if going there over NY periood is a good idea I know that everywhere is going to be booked very quickly so I think I am just panicking about what to do!

#3 Posted: 3/11/2010 - 23:00

• 0theories

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2010
    Location United States

Hi Daisy,

I'll be getting into Thailand on the 19th of Dec. I think, to start my 4 month tour. I'm also curious about what to do for New Year's (and xmas, but not as important). It's one of my favorite holidays and I hope to spend it well :) I'm 35, male and hope to go to a party with people at least near my age (mostly end up hanging out with people younger). More interested in the music and dancing scene than the fine food and wine scene :) Keep up on here as to your possible plans and any interesting possibilities you run into, and I will as well.

enjoy, lev

#4 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 02:10

• robinhood

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2010

Hi Daisy,

The best way to start your trip in Thailand is to start it from Khao San Road in Bangkok. I recommend that you stay for a couple of days on Khao San Road and then move to the Southern Island of Koh Phangan for the New Years Full Moon Party. There are a lot of transport options from Khao San Road to get to any part of Thailand.

At both these places you will never feel left out as you will be in the centre of all the fun and excitement ;-)

By the way, I will arrive in Bangkok on 24th of December, will be in Khao San for Christmas and then move in full gear to Koh Phangan for the ultimate New Year's party on planet earth :-)

It would be even great if we could meet up in Thailand and we could buddy up for the rest or part of the travel in Thailand.

Let me know your thoughts...

Cheers!

Robs

#5 Posted: 11/11/2010 - 22:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Xmas and New Year in Thailand ... By mrkarlholland on 5 Nov 2008 1 1825 7 Nov 2008
travelling thailand with 12 yr old for xmas and new year, best places to visit. ... By aynat73 on 13 Oct 2009 3 2021 13 Oct 2009
Xmas & New Year Hue and Hoi An ... By kayewhite on 12 Jan 2010 0 3151 12 Jan 2010
Around Saigon during Xmas and New Year's ... By uncannyherbie on 9 Nov 2009 4 1529 30 Dec 2009
Where to go for Xmas and New Year in Cambodia ... By Doyledan on 1 Dec 2012 0 1573 1 Dec 2012
Ko Pha Ngan at Xmas & New Year time ... By MILKDOG on 3 Jul 2006 5 2037 5 Jul 2006
Xmas/New Year Honeymoon Cambodia and Vietnam ... By rose51 on 18 Sep 2010 2 1875 24 Sep 2010