• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

To Stuart (Somtam2000), the TF crew and fellow forumites,

I'm having a feel-good moment, so thought I'd share the love! Just wanted to say thanks so much for providing an awesome website and resource for all of us travellers, wanna-be travellers and arm-chair travellers.

For me personally, when planning a trip, the information that I can find here is invaluable – from the initial planning stages of a trip through to the point where I am standing on a street with my A5 printed TF guide and backpack trying to work out the best place to stay. (And yes, next trip I'm catching up with the technology and will biff the printout in favour of the Apps!)

Also, a big thank you to all my fellow forumites who provide the help when I need it, who take the time to read my ramblings the rest of the time – but most of all, who provide me with my daily entertainment, banter and motivation when I’m in armchair traveller mode (usually accompanied by my morning coffee and cereal when at work). Although I have done some travel in SEA,there is so much more for me to see. I am now planning a 6-8 week trip for later next year and I’m looking forward to cuddling up to my laptop(!) over the Xmas holidays to start planning my route.

I hope everyone has a fantastic Christmas and New Years....and for those travelling in SEA during this period, enjoy what will probably be the most unusual Christmas you’ve ever had! Stuart, I think I read somewhere that you will be on Lombok for Xmas. Be sure to check out Mawan Beach, about 10km west of Kuta beach. It’s a gorgeous crescent-shaped bay with a beautiful golden sand beach and crystal clear blue water. Very clean, hardly anyone there, great for swimming (no snorkelling though).

Thanks again Stuart and team... you guys do an awesome job for the rest of us!

Lisa

#1 Posted: 24/12/2010 - 02:49

• Advertisement

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

well, can't add more to your post I guess. big up for for the TF crew!
    happy holidays for everyone, wherever you are!

grzt

#2 Posted: 24/12/2010 - 17:22

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Many thanks!

We're leaving for Lombok shortly and will be sure to check out Mawan Beach as we're basing ourselves at KutaBeach till the new year.

Here's a short vid of a new "beach shack" on Seminyak Beach, Bali... with our daughter having a Christmas frolic at the end...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plToggM8vn8

Merry Xmas all!

#3 Posted: 25/12/2010 - 07:56

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Just back from Mawan Bay -- b.l.o.o.d.y nice!

http://twitpic.com/3ju34t

Look familiar lizzy? Though you could have warned us about the road as it almost killed our poor little Xenia that is used to smooth Bali roads! ... more tips welcome though - we've five more days here

#4 Posted: 26/12/2010 - 19:09

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Ahhh... it's just the way I remembered it, just with a few more clouds in the sky....

Hmm... sorry about the road. It did cross my mind to mention it (esp with the kids) but then, I figured you guys were the intrepid travellers. It's all part of the experience! :-)

I can't think of anything else in the area worth a mention. We were only there for a 2-3 days, and two of those were at the Mawan! There is a pottery village on the road down to Kuta that we went to (can't remember the name, but it's marked as the pottery village on the maps). It was vaguely interesting for something to do, but probably not worth making a special trip for.

My advice? Put some padding around the kids and head back to Mawan!

Enjoy!

#5 Posted: 27/12/2010 - 01:37

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Belated happy Christmas everyone!

I'm off to a hammock now for a month (or two) to cogitate about where to go next. Choice is a bit limited as I only have two free pages left in my passport for visas!

#6 Posted: 27/12/2010 - 08:11

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hey SBE - Merry Xmas to you too! So where have you been hiding? And where is the current hammock hanging? I'll be thinking of you as I had back to work in 2 days time! :-(

#7 Posted: 27/12/2010 - 16:47

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Hi Lizzy. I've just got back from Myanamar. Before that spent two months mainly snorkelling in Indonesia. Hammock is strung up on Ko Phayam, I'm just waiting for end of year rush in the Surins to abate a bit, then I'll probably go and do a spot of snorkeling there. Commiserations about having to go back to work! (PS where's the smiley button??)

#8 Posted: 27/12/2010 - 20:34

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Sigh... you have no idea how much that knots my stomach just thinking about what I COULD be doing rather than dealing with work crap! Never mind - my time is coming again. I'm reluctant to start counting the sleeps just yet... but I am hopeful the next year will fly! I'll be in NE Thailand and Laos (at minimum) if you're in the neighbourhood Sept/Oct/Nov next year....... planning on gatecrashing MadMac's place - he just doesn't know it yet! ;-). Maybe he can do the impossible and teach me to dance!

BTW - there is no smily button. I just type the characters in and magically converts. : - ) (that's typed with spaces in between). :-)

Enjoy the hammock!

#9 Posted: 29/12/2010 - 04:20

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I bet he'd refuse to teach me salsa in flipflops. :-)

#10 Posted: 29/12/2010 - 19:24

• Advertisement

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

Posted from within Vietnam.

Its a bit late, but i just have to join in.

To me, this is one of those sites that is so good its hard to believe it exits before you find it. Truly amazing!

Thank you Travelfish!!

#11 Posted: 30/12/2010 - 10:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Merry Xmas all! ... By somtam2000 on 24 Dec 2012 0 842 24 Dec 2012