Idle banter forum

anything else like travelfish out there?

• walkingtrees

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2010

Hi all

First I just have to say thanks for all the help I received from you guys in planning my Thai/Laos trip this past summer. This forum truly shines with great people helping each other.

Anyways, I'm now planning my next trip and sadly...Travel Fish doesn't have a China section! Haha.

I'm planning on doing something like Lonely Planets "South West China" itinerary and am wondering if anyone know of any boards on the web that are up to TF's standards regarding that part of the world. (aside from Lonely Planet's forum)

Happy travels!

#1 Posted: 3/1/2011 - 08:54

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

There aren't that many good boards for travel in China - I find general searches on Lonely Planet and Wiki-travel are often enough.

For places to stay there are loads of good hostels in most major destinations in China (Guilin, Yangshou, Kunming, Dali, Lijiang) and any place without will have plenty of accommodations available for cheap - sometimes local squat toilet-hot-shower rooms can be cheaper than the hostels (like in Jinhong, Yunnan).

As long as you know where the local bus station is you won't have much trouble getting around either - as a considerable number of people rely on public transportation in Southwestern China so there are often several buses a day.

One site offers some suggestions but it is getting more and more out of date as the years go by. Still good to see what people recommended doing but not good for prices and detailed travel plans - most of the bus schedules would probably be expanded at this point:

http://www.passplanet.com/china/index.htm

#2 Posted: 3/1/2011 - 09:10

• MiaBritton

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2009
    Location New Zealand

Hi,

You could try emailing the guys at backpackies (backpackies.com, or their facebook page under the same name!). Even though their website is still limited, they seem to have traveled most of Asia and give great advice :)

#3 Posted: 3/1/2011 - 09:52

• ccalvin09

Joined Travelfish
    27th August, 2009

I have the same question for finding good travel-fish style info for Burma and the Philippines!

#4 Posted: 13/7/2011 - 05:06

• Tessie

Joined Travelfish
    13th July, 2011

Have you tried Trip Advisor? It has a forums for most countries & plenty of info about accomodation, attractions etc ... It also has travellers reviews, which are invaluable reading when you are planning a trip.

www.tripadvisor.com.au
    Cheers,
    Tessie

#5 Posted: 23/7/2011 - 20:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.