Idle banter forum

Teaching in Thailand

• rossco

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

In July I will be flying out to Thailand, most likely Surin Province, to volunteer teaching in a Thai university (through GapYearThailand). I am very excited and can't wait to get back out to Thailand but understandly nervous at the same time!

Has any other members taught in Thailand before and can pass on some tips and share there experiences with me?

Many thanks!!

#1 Posted: 30/4/2011 - 02:56

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hi Rossco,

I didn't teach in Thailand, but I did work for the Thai Dept. of Agriculture (Agricultural Extension) quite a few years ago, and one of my fellow volunteers worked in Surin.

PM me and I'd be happy to share some of my experiences, and pass on some of what my friend told me about life in Surin.

#2 Posted: 2/5/2011 - 09:06

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Hi Rossco,

I am sorry I don't have any real advice for you BUT i would be really interested to hear how this goes. Please keep us informed!

I have not been to Surin but have been to Phimai, Khorat (briefly) and Nang Rong for Phanom Rung (Buriram Province). I liked my quick trip through Isaan; everyone was very friendly, there aren't too many foreigners around (a good thing, most of the time) and there are some interesting sights. Surin has an elephant festival or something that would be worth seeing.

#3 Posted: 7/5/2011 - 23:26

• aldiver

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2011

I have taught in Thailand, it is an amazing thing to do. You will love it. Just smile a lot, you will be fine. Dont be nervous, the thing to remember is that as you are going to be teaching in a university the students want to learn, its not like teaching high school kids!

#4 Posted: 7/5/2011 - 23:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I have just one piece of advice - don't let the ineffciciency and haphazard scheduling of Thai administration get you down. It goes with the territory here, and it's not going to change to make you happy. You will make no positive difference and lose friends by complaining about it. Just learn to accept it.

#5 Posted: 7/5/2011 - 23:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.