Photo: Wong's Bar, Bangkok.

Idle banter forum

Teaching in Thailand

Posted by rossco on 30/4/2011 at 02:56

In July I will be flying out to Thailand, most likely Surin Province, to volunteer teaching in a Thai university (through GapYearThailand). I am very excited and can't wait to get back out to Thailand but understandly nervous at the same time!

Has any other members taught in Thailand before and can pass on some tips and share there experiences with me?

Many thanks!!

#1 rossco has been a member since 30/4/2011. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 24

Posted by Tilapia on 2/5/2011 at 09:06

Hi Rossco,

I didn't teach in Thailand, but I did work for the Thai Dept. of Agriculture (Agricultural Extension) quite a few years ago, and one of my fellow volunteers worked in Surin.

PM me and I'd be happy to share some of my experiences, and pass on some of what my friend told me about life in Surin.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,485
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by christay2009 on 7/5/2011 at 23:26

Hi Rossco,

I am sorry I don't have any real advice for you BUT i would be really interested to hear how this goes. Please keep us informed!

I have not been to Surin but have been to Phimai, Khorat (briefly) and Nang Rong for Phanom Rung (Buriram Province). I liked my quick trip through Isaan; everyone was very friendly, there aren't too many foreigners around (a good thing, most of the time) and there are some interesting sights. Surin has an elephant festival or something that would be worth seeing.

#3 christay2009 has been a member since 8/2/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 414

Posted by aldiver on 7/5/2011 at 23:45

I have taught in Thailand, it is an amazing thing to do. You will love it. Just smile a lot, you will be fine. Dont be nervous, the thing to remember is that as you are going to be teaching in a university the students want to learn, its not like teaching high school kids!

#4 aldiver has been a member since 7/5/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by MADMAC on 7/5/2011 at 23:49

I have just one piece of advice - don't let the ineffciciency and haphazard scheduling of Thai administration get you down. It goes with the territory here, and it's not going to change to make you happy. You will make no positive difference and lose friends by complaining about it. Just learn to accept it.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.