Idle banter forum

Using a daily dose of Travelfish to calm my excitement!

• rledez1990

Click here to learn more about rledez1990
    Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

I'm be heading back to Thailand with my boyfriend in 37 days and literally cannot wait! In the meantime I'll be scouring this forum daily for anywhere I can talk about my past experiences/future trip....!

#1 Posted: 8/5/2011 - 15:53

• Advertisement

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Then talk. When did you go before? Where did you go? How long did you stay?

#2 Posted: 9/5/2011 - 06:28

• rledez1990

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Ahhh you're humouring me haha! Thank you :)
    Well...last year we travelled for 2 and a half months: we started off in Singapore and after two pre-booked nights in the super posh Holiday Inn Atrium we relocated to the delightfully grubby Cozy Corner Backpackers Hostel in Bugis! After three or four days (it's expensive there!) we got a train to Kuala Lumpur and spent an amazing few days in Chinatown in Grocer's Inn... absolutely loved how crazy it was there, and enjoyed watching from the balcony in the early hours of the morning and seeing the street vendors pack up and wash down the streets ready for the next day! After five days we got the night train from KL to Hat Yai, and that marked the start of our two month trip around Thailand! We stuck to the south, having been advised to steer clear of Bangkok because of riots, and had an amazing experience! We stayed in Krabi on Ao Nang beach, Phi Phi, Phuket, Ko Samui, Ko Phangnan (didn't really like this place...we're not drinkers and we couldn't seem to escape the party scene) and Ko Tao...we absolutely loved every minute of it and are heading back to Thailand for six weeks in...36 days!

#3 Posted: 9/5/2011 - 06:41

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

But Singapore can't be that bad! I was living in Tokyo the last time I went through and found it OK. Compared to London or some other UK city it must be cheap! I go to New York City every month and I know Singapore to be cheaper. By the way how long was the train to KL? How was it? KL I haven't been yet.

#4 Posted: 9/5/2011 - 12:28

• rledez1990

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

In Singapore it's cheaper than London definitely, but miles more expensive than Malaysia and Thailand, so I guess I mean expensive for a backpacker! We were paying just over £25 for a dingy, shared facilities hostel room in Singapore (it had no windows, and was basically a bed and nothing else) whereas in Thailand we had air conditioned double bedrooms with hot water, TV, balcony etc... It's all relative I suppose? You can do everything cheaply if you want to, i.e. food can be found for a low price, but I think having done lots of pre-trip research, our daily Singapore budget was much higher than we expected, and it's high prices were only emphasised by later rock bottom prices elsewhere!
    The train to KL from Singapore is 7 hours, and is actually not that bad in terms of comfort! We really enjoyed KL- it's hot and busy, but good for a few days. As I said, we stayed in Chinatown which I loved! There's so much to do there including a couple of massive markets, street food... We saw the Petronas towers in the centre of KL which are apparently a must, and visited the Zoo Negara which was one of the best we'd ever been to. You should go!

#5 Posted: 9/5/2011 - 14:17

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

cool - strange that you could not escape the party scene in Ko Phangnan - I agree the party scene can be a bit in your face but if you go the right areas you can forget haadrin exists (if you like)
    Ko Phangnan has so much more to offer - dont miss out !

#6 Posted: 9/5/2011 - 16:06

• rledez1990

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Yeah since coming home I've read there are other places to go, I think we were just completely put off by how much the particular hotel we were in reminded us of Ibiza haha it was just lots of drunk English people sitting round a pool drinking and smoking! With a bit more research we'll maybe go back this time but to a different part of the island altogether!

#7 Posted: 10/5/2011 - 03:00

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Being 40-something, I seriously didn't expect to like Koh Phangan because of the party-scene rep, but I ended up loving it, and would have to say it's been one of my favourite places to go in Thailand for some relaxing beach time while not being too isolated. BUT... I stayed much further north up the island, away from the crowds.

I hired a 4WD drive to get up there (rather than take the taxis), and had great fun exploring. The last trip I stayed at Thong Nai Pan Noi which I thought was lovely. Just enough people around so that I didn't feel too lonely, but certainly not crowded and 'busy'. (This was in late January). Beach was gorgeous - white clean sand, gentle waves, etc - perfect for swimming and bobbing in the water. Not so good for snorkelling, but I made my way around to the northern end of the island to get my snorkelling fix.

I really just posted that because KPN gets a bad rap sometimes - and I was pleasantly surprised, and think it's great.

I envy you the big countdown riedez - there's nothing as exciting as counting the number of sleeps left to go. My Sept trip is just a bit too far away to start counting yet... :-)

#8 Posted: 10/5/2011 - 03:41

• rledez1990

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Yep 36 days to go! I wouldn't say September is too far...haha it just might make it go that little bit slower...! I'll definitely consider giving Koh Phangnan another go this time as I've heard a lot of people describe it as their favourite place away from the parties etc...
    Can. Not. Wait.

#9 Posted: 10/5/2011 - 04:32

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

See? And you thought no one wanted to chat HAhA!
    Hey I just watched the Travel channel with my mother. Anthony Bourdain (I think that's his name.) in Thailand and Cambodia. And my mother watching with me in our suburban home trying to figure out why I like those places. Our cable system has "ON DEMAND" television so you can choose old episodes of shows. Do you guys have that?

#10 Posted: 10/5/2011 - 10:15

• Advertisement

• rledez1990

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

I'm at university so don't have a TV :( but I'll look on the internet to see if there's anywhere I can find it! Is it good? What country are you from?

#11 Posted: 10/5/2011 - 14:36

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

i did watch Grodon Ramsey in Cambodia on TV last night and despite Ramsey being a bit of a twat the cambodian people come acrross as very friendly and hospitable - looked great :)

#12 Posted: 10/5/2011 - 15:05

• rledez1990

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Next week he's in Thailand, and he goes to Mrs Ya's cooking school in Krabi which is where me and my boyfriend had a cooking course last year! He was there a month or two before us so she must be good haha x

#13 Posted: 11/5/2011 - 00:23

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

From stateside. The Travel channel always has good stuff. Anthony Bourdain's show recently had Japan, Cambodia and Thailand. Lot's of food and insight with local folks. Check their website. I am sure the shows are somewhere available there. It will help your "hunger" pangs for travel!

#14 Posted: 11/5/2011 - 07:02

• rledez1990

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Two days to go!

#15 Posted: 12/6/2011 - 20:19

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Keep us posted!

#16 Posted: 13/6/2011 - 16:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.