Bloody spammers!

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

What's with the recent influx of spammers?! Geez, they are obnoxious! Do you really think it does any good? Do you really think people are going to go check our your crap websites?! Why don't you guys go away and get a real job?!

Sigh.... Ok - rant over. Feel free to delete this Somtam, along with all the other stupid spam. It's not like you've got anything else to do anyhow, right?!

#1 Posted: 12/5/2011 - 17:52

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I'm just guessing here, but I suspect spam attacks are more obvious Somtam's not chained to the computer in HQ and constantly hitting the nuke button.

Any chance of putting some kind of *this post is obnoxious spam* button on posts so that registered users who notice spammers could alert you by iphone or something Somtam?

Or would that cause chaos and mayhem.

#2 Posted: 12/5/2011 - 19:19

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

SBE,

I think there is something similar to what you suggest already. If you are reading posts while logged in, you'll notice the small [x] in the bottom right-hand corner. Move your cursor over that and a Report this post message pops up in a text balloon. Just click and Bob's your Phuket cabaret show neice!

#3 Posted: 12/5/2011 - 20:10

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Aha! Sorry exacto, you're right, I think I may well have suggested a spam button hotline before. I missed the explanation for what that red x was for somehow.

Right, so now I know how to deal with obnoxious spam (insert *evil smile* smiley) ...it'll be cathartic hitting the red x even if it doesn't work very fast!

#4 Posted: 12/5/2011 - 20:35

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If you click on the red x, a short sharp burst of electricity is sent through electrodes connected to my earlobes.

The spam is quite bad at the moment - we catch a lot of it before it hits the forum and features, but, as you're noticing, some slips through.

Thanks all, in particular Lissy, for reporting the spam.

SBE owe you an email -- I'm to Singapore tomorrow, so will email b4 then. APols for long delays.

#5 Posted: 12/5/2011 - 20:39

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

No hurry Somtam! I'm busy cutting the lawn with a hedge trimmer today anyway.

#6 Posted: 12/5/2011 - 20:50

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

No hurry Somtam! I'm busy cutting the lawn with a hedge trimmer today anyway.

Ha ha - that sounds so ....domestic!! :-)

#7 Posted: 13/5/2011 - 02:45

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Thanks all, in particular Lissy, for reporting the spam
    Happy to do it - but I DO feel like I'm spamming you sometimes since I'm reporting so many. :-/

Now that we have SBE trained in spam-execution I can see that Somtam will now definitely be overloaded with spam reports. Here's a suggestion: once a post is reported, what about some message in red to indicate that the post has already been reported. Otherwise, your earlobes are in danger of being fried!

#8 Posted: 13/5/2011 - 02:48

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Actually I refrained from hitting the red x earlier because I looked at what the time in Bali it was and didn't want to wake him up by frying his earlobe.

Then I almost ordered a feminine wellness mermaid wedding dress with matching aqualung but refrained from that too as it would have bumped up the post.

Now that spam's gone and I'm still a red x virgin. :-(

Edit: Forget that last sentence ... I just did it. :-)

#9 Posted: 13/5/2011 - 05:23

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

"Then I almost ordered a feminine wellness mermaid wedding dress with matching aqualung.. "

Of course, when someone stumbles on this post in a year's time, they are going to think that you have sunk one too many bordeauxs!

#10 Posted: 13/5/2011 - 08:39

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.