Photo: Wong's Bar, Bangkok.

Idle banter forum

Bloody spammers!

Posted by busylizzy on 12/5/2011 at 17:52

What's with the recent influx of spammers?! Geez, they are obnoxious! Do you really think it does any good? Do you really think people are going to go check our your crap websites?! Why don't you guys go away and get a real job?!

Sigh.... Ok - rant over. Feel free to delete this Somtam, along with all the other stupid spam. It's not like you've got anything else to do anyhow, right?!

#1 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by SBE on 12/5/2011 at 19:19

I'm just guessing here, but I suspect spam attacks are more obvious Somtam's not chained to the computer in HQ and constantly hitting the nuke button.

Any chance of putting some kind of *this post is obnoxious spam* button on posts so that registered users who notice spammers could alert you by iphone or something Somtam?

Or would that cause chaos and mayhem.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by exacto on 12/5/2011 at 20:10

SBE,

I think there is something similar to what you suggest already. If you are reading posts while logged in, you'll notice the small [x] in the bottom right-hand corner. Move your cursor over that and a Report this post message pops up in a text balloon. Just click and Bob's your Phuket cabaret show neice!

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,606
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by SBE on 12/5/2011 at 20:35

Aha! Sorry exacto, you're right, I think I may well have suggested a spam button hotline before. I missed the explanation for what that red x was for somehow.

Right, so now I know how to deal with obnoxious spam (insert *evil smile* smiley) ...it'll be cathartic hitting the red x even if it doesn't work very fast!

#4 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 12/5/2011 at 20:39 admin

If you click on the red x, a short sharp burst of electricity is sent through electrodes connected to my earlobes.

The spam is quite bad at the moment - we catch a lot of it before it hits the forum and features, but, as you're noticing, some slips through.

Thanks all, in particular Lissy, for reporting the spam.

SBE owe you an email -- I'm to Singapore tomorrow, so will email b4 then. APols for long delays.

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by SBE on 12/5/2011 at 20:50

No hurry Somtam! I'm busy cutting the lawn with a hedge trimmer today anyway.

#6 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by busylizzy on 13/5/2011 at 02:45

No hurry Somtam! I'm busy cutting the lawn with a hedge trimmer today anyway.

Ha ha - that sounds so ....domestic!! :-)

#7 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155

Posted by busylizzy on 13/5/2011 at 02:48

Thanks all, in particular Lissy, for reporting the spam
Happy to do it - but I DO feel like I'm spamming you sometimes since I'm reporting so many. :-/

Now that we have SBE trained in spam-execution I can see that Somtam will now definitely be overloaded with spam reports. Here's a suggestion: once a post is reported, what about some message in red to indicate that the post has already been reported. Otherwise, your earlobes are in danger of being fried!

#8 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155

Posted by SBE on 13/5/2011 at 05:23

Actually I refrained from hitting the red x earlier because I looked at what the time in Bali it was and didn't want to wake him up by frying his earlobe.

Then I almost ordered a feminine wellness mermaid wedding dress with matching aqualung but refrained from that too as it would have bumped up the post.

Now that spam's gone and I'm still a red x virgin. :-(

Edit: Forget that last sentence ... I just did it. :-)

#9 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by busylizzy on 13/5/2011 at 08:39

"Then I almost ordered a feminine wellness mermaid wedding dress with matching aqualung.. "

Of course, when someone stumbles on this post in a year's time, they are going to think that you have sunk one too many bordeauxs!

#10 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.