Idle banter forum

meditation retreats

• mmcphee7117

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2011

Does anyone know of any good extended meditation retreats in Indonesia, Maylasia, or Thailand? I am a bit more interested in Zen rather than Theravada but I'm aware that the area is predominately the latter so I'm open to it. I'd say I am a fairly experienced and somewhat knowledgeable Mediator so I'm looking for something which is not quite "introductory" but does provide for a good beginner style learning environment (if that makes sense).

#1 Posted: 27/5/2011 - 09:51

• Advertisement

• Tunbo

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2011

Hi there McPhee - My master yoga instructor suggested for me to go here as it is very reputable. He has completed a retreat there himself, and have taught many others whom have attended this exotic and peaceful location". The website looks amazing, and I am awaiting a return of some details myself.
    "Some people like to be lead, and some like to be taught" he said. Hope you have success.
    http://www.absoluteyogasamui.com/

Good luck with that

cheers Tunbo

#2 Posted: 27/5/2011 - 11:00

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Thailand is a great place for a Theravada meditation retreat. For Zen you might be able to find something in Vietnam... I practiced Pure Land Buddhism for a couple months in and around Hoi An, but I was with a Vietnamese friend who translated a lot. In Vietnam you could try a search on www.buddhanet.net. Other than that for Zen head to Korea/Japan.

If you do want to go the Thai route, check out these sites:

www.suanmokkh.org
    www.vimokkha.com
    www.watkowtahm.org
    www.fivethousandyears.org
    www.watpahnanachat.org
    www.dhamma.org/en/schedules/schabha.shtml
    www.palikanon.com/vipassana/tapotaram/tapotaram.htm
    www.buddhistravel.com

Best of luck,
    DL

#3 Posted: 28/5/2011 - 09:12

• sharonbaker

Joined Travelfish
    15th July, 2011

Hi,

Nice to find this site. Thanks for sharing with us. I am happy to visit again... Good job! Keep posting.....

RayMeds

#4 Posted: 15/7/2011 - 12:30

• johnbarring-
    ton

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2011

I would try Vipassana. Its amazing and free too.

#5 Posted: 20/10/2011 - 21:08

• inspiredbyk-
    rissi

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2011

I would reccomend the Vipasanna Goenka courses around the world. These are away from Buddhism but still teach you the teachigns of Buddha.

10 days, good accomodation, good food and donation based. www.dhamma.org.

Well worth it

#6 Posted: 23/12/2011 - 03:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.