Idle banter forum

Is this the end? A shortage of coconut milk....

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

OK, as a die-hard fan of eating and cooking Thai curries, I was saddened to read the news today:

NZ faces drought in coconut milk
    A global shortage of coconut milk is expected to be felt here over the next two years.
    But one of the biggest importers....doesn't expect it to be as bad as in the UK where supermarkets have been running out and some restaurants have been forced to change their menus.

Manassen Foods Australia development manager ...said the impact could already be seen in New Zealand.

"It started out as a severe flood in the southern region of Thailand, it wiped out half the crop of coconut trees and, when they started to recover, many of the trees got an infestation that compounded the issue," he said.

"It will take a good two years to recover from that flooding."

He said Australian and New Zealand consumers would feel the impact. "Prices have firmed up, the level of discounting has disappeared. You won't see the shelves devoid, but you won't see the level of specials or discounting that we have had.

"It will just be more scarce and more expensive." ...

Full article here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/5132808/NZ-faces-drought-in-coconut-milk

Thank goodness we are near the Pacific Islands - I believe they are another source of coconut milk for NZ, so my Thai cooking does not need to come to an abrupt end! And maybe it's an opportune time to try some new recipes.

It's interesting how not so long ago, the floods were a (warranted) topic for discussion of concern by travellers on this site. Now several months on, it's interesting to read of the long-distance ramifications of the floods.

#1 Posted: 12/6/2011 - 10:21

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey Lizzy,

Another factor may be increased demand, at least here in the states, where coconut water is a big fad in health food and other stores. A 600 ml can sells for about US $2 and is on back order at a few of the stores we frequent. It is delicous.

#2 Posted: 12/6/2011 - 22:07

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

I actually noticed the price had gone up recently in my local Chinese supermarket. I will have to go back and stock up now! I wonder what their reaction will be when I buy 30 cans?

I haven't noticed any change in restaurant menu's though (or a reduction in sauce/thinning) so not sure how accurate that one is currently.

#3 Posted: 13/6/2011 - 00:20

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I hate the stuff - so I won't be missing it. I am hoping there is some sort of devasting destruction to global collander sources and it's wiped out so it stops entering my food here.

#4 Posted: 13/6/2011 - 11:36

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I bet they call you Scrooge at Xmas, Mac! :-) I guess you won't mind sending some my way if we run out!

I was being a bit frivolous when posting this, but I was sincere about the comments about the ramifications of the floods. And I'm not just referring to NZ running out of coconut milk, as awful as that thought is. But we often forget about ongoing affects of such tragedies - people's livelihoods are seriously affected. We are seeing the same thing here in NZ with the earthquakes in Christchurch although at there is some element of government assistance and insurance coverage for people.

Reading the article just gave me a moment to pause and reflect....

#5 Posted: 13/6/2011 - 13:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.